ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 565 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#31549 11/27/03 01:13 PM
J
On long island, NYC, and other city's in the upstate region require licensing. But you will love this one.. All other area's you do not need a license. Basically a freaking hair dresser can open his/her own business doing electrical. <Scary!> In one area I was in in the Montgomery county area (Just north of Albany.) I went to the town hall to inquire about licensing in the area. When I was told there was no license needed, I was shocked. I of course asked why! (You will love this answer.) Because quite honestly, no one will care if someone burns down a house in the middle of no where. (Keeping in mind there idea of "in the middle of no where" is the houses are seperated by about 150-200 feet.) So anyway, that comment needless to say rubbed me the wrong way. I said well I know someone who would care. With not a care in his tone of voice and a small smirk on his face he said who? I said the family that is killed due to a fire by an unqualified electrician! The smirk went away from his face and I was politly asked to leave. Now dont get me wrong I can see a homeowner tackling the task with some expert advice. (Not DIY programs.) And they know they are taking on the liability themselves. But when they hire someone out of the phone book they should be licensed.

#31550 11/28/03 10:56 PM
S
kdrifter440-

I am licensed in the City of Kingston, across the river. Basically the same thing by you. Some areas require a license, like the City of Poughkepsie. I know Kingston and P'ok reciprocate, but Newburgh does not. Village of Saugerties does also.

Some areas, like Kingston are pretty much a joke when it comes to the test. 5 years proven, written test, with a code book and calculator on hand. Needless to say I got a 94 only because of a stupid mistake.
If you know how to read the code book you'll pass. When someone fails I try to rememeber their name as to avoid their work in the future.

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard