ECN Forum
Posted By: kdrifter440 NEW YORK - 11/25/03 01:10 AM
DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHAT YOU NEED TO GET A NY ELECTRICAL CONTRACTORS LICENSE
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: NEW YORK - 11/25/03 01:49 AM
There's no state License.
Requirements may vary from area to area.

Suffolk County Long Island - must prove 5 years experience in the trade and then pass a written and practical (hands-on) exam.

A more specific question might get you a better answer.

Bill Addiss

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 11-24-2003).]
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: NEW YORK - 11/25/03 02:44 AM
Hey Bill, I don't have any plans to head North, but I've got a question about this. If NY doesn't have a statewide exam, do they make you get one in each county or area, or will one jurisdiction honor the license of another? Down here, my GA license is honored not only in GA, but in 4 or 5 other states.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: NEW YORK - 11/25/03 04:16 AM
Eagle,

The answer to your question is Yes and No. Here we do have to get and maintain a License in each jurisdiction that we work in.

Suffolk County license covers about 1/2 of the Island. The other half (Nassau County) has 3 main (Township) licenses and a plethora of small town licenses/permits. One county license is not recognized by the other. You'd have to test in both.

In Nassau, a license in one of the 3 main Townships is recognized by the other two, but you must still buy and maintain the License there.

All of this does not include NY City, or Upstate NY, that's something else again. Maybe someone from those areas could help with that.

Bill
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: NEW YORK - 11/25/03 02:23 PM
Westchester County NY has very specific rules for applying for the electrical license exam. 11 and 1/2 years of documented work with a licensed electrical contractor has to be proven. 4 of those years have to be proven as an apprentice, 7 1/2 years as a journeyman. Also the types of work you have performed has to be documented. Obviously they are very strict. On average about 20 to 25 take the test, and usually 4 to 6 pass. There are approximately 1300 license holders, of which approximately 960 are active.

Pierre
Posted By: Geno Re: NEW YORK - 11/25/03 04:47 PM
Here in Syracuse, NY you must prove 10 years in the trade, 5 years commercial , of which 3 years must be new construction, ground up not remodel. This qualifies you for the masters test. The test is given 2 times a year and usually a very low number pass the test, I was the only one of 15 to pass when I took the exam. Syracuse no longer has recipricals with any other jurisdictions in this area.
Posted By: kdrifter440 Re: NEW YORK - 11/25/03 10:54 PM
Any one know the requirements for Dutchess county? Do you need to be licensed for basic installs?
Posted By: Chris Rudolph Re: NEW YORK - 11/25/03 10:57 PM
In Central NY(Cortland,Cayuga counties) South of Syracuse NO electrical license is required.Only plumbers are required to be licensed.
Chris
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: NEW YORK - 11/26/03 01:24 AM
Wow, NY sounds like a tough state to work in. Here in GA we're mostly a non union state and official apprenticeships and journeymen don't exist. Here, you need a minimum of 4 years experience and pass a difficult test. Then you can set up shop anywhere in the state and most other states in the region will reciprocate. I personally think 4 years isn't quite enough experience, but I know some very good electricians with 10 years experience that can't pass the test.
Posted By: wolfdog Re: NEW YORK - 11/26/03 03:18 PM
Texas has not had a state wide license up until now. You had to reciprocate your license to each town or city you work in. They all get your money every year. I pay for a contractors license and a masters license for each city.

A state wide license law takes affect early next year.
It remains to be seen how each town will get their money with the state having the license law now.
Posted By: JMichael Re: NEW YORK - 11/27/03 05:13 PM
On long island, NYC, and other city's in the upstate region require licensing. But you will love this one.. All other area's you do not need a license. Basically a freaking hair dresser can open his/her own business doing electrical. <Scary!> In one area I was in in the Montgomery county area (Just north of Albany.) I went to the town hall to inquire about licensing in the area. When I was told there was no license needed, I was shocked. I of course asked why! (You will love this answer.) Because quite honestly, no one will care if someone burns down a house in the middle of no where. (Keeping in mind there idea of "in the middle of no where" is the houses are seperated by about 150-200 feet.) So anyway, that comment needless to say rubbed me the wrong way. I said well I know someone who would care. With not a care in his tone of voice and a small smirk on his face he said who? I said the family that is killed due to a fire by an unqualified electrician! The smirk went away from his face and I was politly asked to leave. Now dont get me wrong I can see a homeowner tackling the task with some expert advice. (Not DIY programs.) And they know they are taking on the liability themselves. But when they hire someone out of the phone book they should be licensed.
Posted By: Speedy Petey Re: NEW YORK - 11/29/03 02:56 AM
kdrifter440-

I am licensed in the City of Kingston, across the river. Basically the same thing by you. Some areas require a license, like the City of Poughkepsie. I know Kingston and P'ok reciprocate, but Newburgh does not. Village of Saugerties does also.

Some areas, like Kingston are pretty much a joke when it comes to the test. 5 years proven, written test, with a code book and calculator on hand. Needless to say I got a 94 only because of a stupid mistake.
If you know how to read the code book you'll pass. When someone fails I try to rememeber their name as to avoid their work in the future.
© ECN Electrical Forums