ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
I was thinking more of the 370 degrees of bend in a run, vs. the 16awg service entrance [Linked Image]

R
Doug,

4 90s and a little kick?
I've done it myself.

W
Minor violations versus Major violations?

This is actually a discussion that I've wanted to start for a while. It seems to me that there are installations which clearly compromise safety; and other installations which are not significant safety risks, but still violate code. Then there are installations which appear to be safe, but violate code, and are actually dangerous in some subtle fashion.

It seems to me that these different sort of violations should be considered differently.

What would you think of a situation where the wire was up-sized in an attempt to 'do better than the code minimums', so that 10ga NM cable wire was used where 12ga would be acceptable. However the various box fill calculations were done presuming 12ga wire, so now you have some fill violations...but nothing really egregious, since the boxes were correctly chosen for 12ga wire.

I would think that violations of the above nature would be 'minor' violations. Of course, this could get out of hand, if you were using conduit than you might end up with 65% conduit fill...but in a box this is not nearly as much of a problem.

I guess that I would categorize mistakes made by someone who is conscientious and going 'the extra mile' to be different from someone who is trying to skimp and to the minimum possible job.

-Jon

Broom Pusher and
Per Minor / Major NEC Violations;

For me, I could say:

<OL TYPE=1>

[*] Minor NEC Violation: 400° total bends between pull points / Junction Boxes,

[*] Major NEC Violation: #10 THHN cu (in steel conduit) with »80 Amps Continuous load, peaking at 100 amps for 5+ Hours.
</OL>

400° (may) be a bear to pull through, but driving 80 - 100 LCL Amps on #10 conductors is going to bring the fire department to the location sometime soon!
(figuring the # 10's are "protected" by a 100 amp OCPD).

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
J
After what I heard today in the Big Orange and the supply house I doubt if some people should wire a dog house, let alone anything else.
Quote "Why worry about the label that requires 90 degree wiring, just tear it off and you 're OK. It's not like the inspector will see it" and "You don't need a transfer switch for your generator. Just turn off the main and backfeed thru the dryer receptacle. Thats how everyone does it"

Maybe I just had a bad day but this was on top of a 15 amp duplex, with a bootleg neutral,feed from a 60 amp furnace circuit.

Y
Actual quote heard in national chain home center store, about six years ago:

Customer: "Do you have direct-burial splice kits for UF cable?"

Salesperson: "Ah, you don't need that. Here's what you do. Take a piece of garden hose. Slip it over the cable. Twist the wires together. Don't solder, just tape it up. Cover it with the hose. Then squirt it full of silicone. It'll hold for 100 years, dielectric strength of 24,000 volts!"

No, I'm not making this up.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard