ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#2791 07/27/01 03:45 PM
Anybody watch Seinfeld? Just curious
There also seems to be a "Duty to Assist"

I don't know about other areas, but this is from Minnesota, I don't know if it was enacted or not:

604A.01 Good Samaritan law.

Subdivision 1. Duty to assist. A person at the scene of an emergency who knows that another person is exposed to or has suffered grave physical harm shall, to the extent that the person can do so without danger or peril to self or others, give reasonable assistance to the exposed person. Reasonable assistance may include obtaining or attempting to obtain aid from law enforcement or medical personnel. A person who violates this subdivision is guilty of a petty misdemeanor.

Bill
#2792 07/27/01 05:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
So if I see that a wire is about to burn someone's house down, I am require to cut off their electric and call the police?

#2793 07/27/01 06:30 PM
Don't know,
I'm just theorizing about possible arguments that may come up.

What if you, a Professional, happen to see a hazard in a very acessible location but do not correct it, can you be held liable somehow if something happens?

Now, the reasons for not correcting it could be many, does it matter? You didn't tell them, You did tell them, but they don't want to spend the money right now, etc. What if it only required some time? What do you do?
How bad is it really? Can you always tell?

I'm not expecting answers to these questions, just tossing them out there as food for thought on some arguments that could come up.

Bill
#2794 07/27/01 07:24 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
I wasn't really expecting an answer to my question either.

As much as it violates my conscience, I don't think I have a right to help a person in danger if that person doesn't want my help.

"Child and Youth Services. How may I direct you call?"
"Hello, I want to report a house with children in it that might burn down."
"How is this?"
"Their fuse box is full of 30 A fuses and Lincoln busts. They are running two window air conditioners. I got a reading of 200 degrees in the basement on the wires. Who knows how hot they get behind the walls! Oh, and I want this to be an anonymous report, please... I'm an electrician and it would be bad for business if people heard that I called CYS on a customer."

#2795 07/27/01 07:32 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
It is the ultimate 'What If' Q....

i don't think we as a trade could easily be held to any standards of liabilty, there are too many variables.
i do think that an ethical tradesman should voice his/her concerns.

#2796 07/27/01 08:04 PM
But if it burned to the ground with fatalities and you were at their house the day before working on the panel, or had reason to open it, you would likely be involved in some legal matters.

Your example does sound a bit "out there" but I think that in some areas you can report violations and they will be investigated, especially where children or others that can not help themselves are involved.

I just think it's a very difficult situation to be in. If I saw something really wrong where I was working and it was easy to lessen the danger I would do it no matter what.

Example: Live wires exposed - I Cap them
But now, can I be liable somehow for not doing it totally legit? (putting them in a box w/cover?) Does anyone know?

Bill
#2797 07/27/01 08:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
>Your example does sound a bit "out there"
Well, actually it was not embellished very much.... but I don't feel up to having the actions that I took in this case scrutinized.

>but I think that in some areas you can report violations and they will be investigated,
But alas, I can't report them anonymously.
Afterall, who could know but the electrician who was just there trying to squeeze out more work?

Sure I regularly put on or replace cover plates and I am especially concerned when I see small children near something dangerous.

Yes, I would have a problem with just putting a wire nut on a live wire. I would say that it has to go in a box, or be disconnected and removed. If I just put a nut on it, someone might think, well, the electrician was here and he made it safe now. Then I get sued because some kid got the wire nut off and got burnt.

At least it takes a screwdriver to remove a wall plate.

#2798 07/27/01 08:51 PM
Tom Offline
No doubt about it, this area is a can of worms (with teeth).

Anybody know a lawyer who would be willing to make some general comments?

Personally, keep your hands off, notify the customer, if they refuse to fix it, make sure you note it on their invoice so there will be a record that at least you notified them. Don't know what I'd do if there was a housefull of kids involved, hope I'm never in that position.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#2799 07/27/01 08:53 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
I do a lot of biz for slum owners. this is not a part of my biz that i would brag about. it's usually a lot of service calls for generic boo-boo's.

I see a lot of bad news, hanging wires, flying splices, oversized fuses and breakers, open junctions, critter damage, unplated devices, you name it.

Any one of these hazards could be lethal given the right circumstances. Many times i do speak up, but nothing is done. After a while you realize that there are certian individuals that will hear only what they want to.

To make matters worse, there are hords of 'home inspectors' without so much as a dale-carnigee certification who will walk right past potential time bombs , only to have a tradesman fix the ol' standard 2 wires on a breaker deal.

I'm tired of going toe to toe with those
ham heads....

You see it gets political, and i was coincidentially talking to VT's chief inspector about such matters today.

Yes i like to point out saftey issues, but if the powers that be do not care to, don't lay it on our shoulders as a trade to do so.

I'll pass the cryin' towel now.....NEXT!

#2800 07/27/01 08:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Sounds familiar... Say, have you ever seen like perhaps two window air conditioners running off extension cords with the U grounds broken off or anything like that? Just wondering...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard