ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 556 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Here in NJ the NEC says (as John pointed out.) You can use any UL listed method. However As an AHJ I would have to allow that, but the building inspector usually makes the ceiling installer support the whole light fixture and track indepently supported. In other words, if the electrical AHJ doesn't get you, the building AHJ will. [Linked Image]

N
Hello from South Dakota!!!

When I was still living in Colorado, all the ahj's wanted four wires to support the fixture seperatly from the grid. Now I have entered the "Twilight Zone" when it comes to code.

We have to take a test for the JW licence, but after that !!WHO CARES!!. I have heard the phrase "What Code?" more times since I moved here than I ever thought I could.

Now when I point out that something is not code, my new employer just says 'thats OK, the inspector is my friend', or 'we don't get inspected so it doesn't matter.'

MAN AM I FRUSTERATED!!!!!

I did go back to the job I was on and tie the fixtures up anyway, just so I would sleep better!

Jon

Jon Niemeyer
G
Gwz Offline
Jon,

I rather imagine it'll be like the E2 nightclub in Chicago or that fire in NJ ?

When someone get hurt because of the poor installation ( code violation's ) then everyone whoever worked in/on the building will be investigated.

Some-one is going to pay the piper.

Seems as though many installers, inspectors, owners, gamble that it won't happen to them.

Another problem is, an inspector just cannot look at everything, for instance, the inspector would have to be on both ends of a cable pull, and that would be on every electrical installation that day!

The installer, beit the electrical or the general contractor, must be responsible for their site.

Been on some multiple occupancies buildings lately and on every building the GC starts covering 300.21. Tomorrow I'll be inspecting a section of wall for 300.21, after the drywall is removed, hopefully today.

This is the 10th building of 12 such buildings, at least 70 " Party" fire walls so far.

The way I look at such practices, There should be at least 6 different persons involved for these installations. The Electrical contractor, the Electrical inspector, the General Contractor, the Building inspector, the Insulator and the Drywaller.

Each one should know when Fire Wall penetrations are violations.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard