ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 189 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#222382 10/25/23 02:32 PM
Cat Servant
Last year I splurged and treated myself to a battery-powered SDS-Max roto-hammer. It was so expensive I had to hold my breath and cross my fingers as I signed the check smile
The tool was quite the aide in driving in a pair of ground rods. What about other uses?
Yesterday I had to drill multiple 7/8" holes through 8" of concrete. Compared to using my smaller SDS+ driver . . . well, there is little to compare. Holes were drilled with almost casual ease. It was much easier to keep the holes straight and in the proper positions.

The only downside / caution is to note that even Li-Ion batteries have a limited shelf life -- and this tool gobbles batteries. Make sure to top off charges in advance and have spares on hand.

Horizontal drilling? There's enough weight to the tool that it's worth rigging some manner of support.

G
I keep trying to justify buying a rotary hammer buy I just can't do it. I have several hammer drills but it ain't the same thing. I do bid on them at an auction site but they end up going to someone who wants it more.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
Well, let me explain my preference . . .
For decades I was content with a cord-powered Harbor Freight (smaller) SDS+ tool. For most jobs -- anchor holes 1/4" -- 5/8" -- this was plenty. For harder materials (concrete) it was a huge improvement over a hammer-drill.
I gave serious thought to getting a larger SDS-Max corded tool from the same source. Especially for a seldom-used tool there's nothing wrong with Harbor Freight. Yet I was confronted by the electrician's paradox:
"If they need an electrician that means they have no power."

To be fair, I had also really pushed my SDS+ tool several times making core drills for 1-1/2" and 2" conduit. Pushed? Make that "abused." So, it was time for a larger SDS-Max.
The job that decided me was last year's service change job. Even in simple earth/clay, climbing a ladder to physically bang in multiple ground rods gets old fast -- even when the temp and humidity are less than 90 and the mosquitoes are napping. (Did I tell you I sweat so much that I watched a landing mosquito SLIDE off?) Service changes are the very definition of "no power."

Having already acquired several tools using a particular battery, I took the plunge and bought an SDS-Max driver that required using two batteries. Make no mistake -- this tool comes in a suitcase and is heavy enough to make baggage handlers despair. On the plus side you need not wrestle a cord and generator around.
The added weight and power made punching holes in concrete a dream. Holes not only were made; they were made exactly where I wanted them. No wandering bits! Good thing, as my margin for error was very tight.

Pricing? Right now (October 2023) Harbor Freight sells their best corded SDS+ for $130 and their largest SDS-Max for $450. Yes, there are smaller models available, and even some cordless SDS+ models . . . but I know how demanding our work can be. FWIW, the tool I used goes for $800, tool only, batteries extra.

G
I don't do enough to even justify a Harbor Fright RH but when you need one, there is not much else that works. Some day everyone who wants one will have on one my auction site and I will score one for $50 or so. I saw a big Bosch go for $55 a little while ago but I stopped at $50. This is local, not Ebay.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard