ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 99 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Wewire2:
I agree with you on the different interpretations. I hear from some ECs that 'the guy in xx town don't like that'.

It's not as prevelant lately, but I still get calls occasionally.

The ground rod thing is a new one to me.

John
W
John: I figured out a long time ago that it's usually wise to go with the flow and do whatever the inspector asks for.
I think I mentioned this a while ago but I had an inspector
refuse to allow me to install a multi meter bussed gutter against a side wall because it had an expansion plate on the end and he said I couldn't block access where the removable plate was. Another inspector required a separate ground rod for each meter hanging under a 6 meter gutter. He said the GEC was not considered accessible since it was in a utility sealed area.
I showed him how sharp my dikes were and how soft the metal is on the utility lock-out tags but he still wouldn't budge.
It would only be fair to note that by far, most inspectors I've dealt with have been great and very few have shown poor judgment in making their calls.

Interesting 'red tags'!!

I agree on 'going with the flow' as you put it, but only to a point! Decisions to hold or fold have to be thought out.

Can you hold up the job to fight the good fight?
Can you financially afford to fight the good fight?
Is the AHJ totally, positively incorrect?
Can you talk to the inspectors 'boss'?

I tell ECs this scenario; if he wants a blue GFI device, and that cost you $10, how much will holding up the job or final cost??

To discuss an issue, request a NEC Article number from him/her. It helps if you have a current NEC close by.

John
W
So True! If the bad call is going to cost a lot of money then it's time to but on the battle gear. I carry a 2011
handbook in the truck and keep another at the office. My 2008 handbook looks like it went through a tornado.

Cat Servant
" Many people started doing work on their house with out permits at all."

Now, there's something that pisses me off. Not the content of the statement, but the attitude behind it. Yes, Massa, we's but gentle serf-folk out here!

I've dealt with floods, and any delay is harmful. Very harmful. It takes a few hours for the water to 'wick' to cause maximum damage. It takes but 36 hours - a single day - for mold to bloom and everything to stink - maybe forever.

So, if I have a flood, I'm getting the water out NOW. I'm removing the carpet, baseboard, and lowest drywall NOW. I'm not about to wait for City Hall to open next Monday to wait in line pull a permit.

G
So, if I have a flood, I'm getting the water out NOW. I'm removing the carpet, baseboard, and lowest drywall NOW. I'm not about to wait for City Hall to open next Monday to wait in line pull a permit.

Same here

"Come and get me copper"

The reality is, nobody will care.

Greg Fretwell
W

"Come and get me copper"

At first glance I interpreted that as if you meant that by removing the drywall it would be exposing the copper wire to theft. Realistically, that quote could easily support both meanings.

Reno:
Back to what Harold said, and you commented on for a minute.

Yes, remediation is important in the aftermath of a flood, as I know having that issue last October.

No, I do not have any issue at all, nor do the majority of inspectors in 'doing what you have to' to preserve your property. (Period) No fines, no jumping up & down. All I ask is that the required paperwork be filed within a reasonable time.

Without going into deep specifics here, the Twp I work in was shutdown for a full week after Sandy. (No Power/Phone)
I was in contact with a few major property owners, ECs, and POCO guys for that full week, along with dealing with my personal issues & securing my property.

To leave this for now, the majority of the municipalities within the State waived all fees related to Sandy work.

John
Reno:

A little more on flood remediation, aka the things an electrical guy found out after 10/29/2012.

More than 25% of sheetrock removed & replaced, a Building Permit will be required. I commented '25% of each room, or 25% of the whole affected structure?' The answer was '25%'!

Now, who is going to measure & do the math? Basically, it was the homeowner/contractor call.

Was there any violations written? No! Zero!

Collectively, there are other issues to write violations & fines for. Illegal basement apts, illegal ;finished' basements, illegal occupancy, etc. Another story for another time.

John
G
In unincorporated Lee County I have never heard if a violation or fine for a renovation or finishing a room without permit. Usually the tax assessor will find it and amend your tax bill but you never hear from the building department unless a neighbor rats you out to code enforcement (the zoning police).
I have done quite a bit around here without permits, the tax man finds it within 12-18 months and that is it. I am careful not to do things that would require a destructive inspection and the "fine" is just a double permit fee.

Greg Fretwell
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard