ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (gfretwell, Scott35), 534 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
BigB #209188 03/14/13 04:11 AM
G
Ref attics

If that is a dedicated circuit or a circuit that also only serves one of the exempt rooms, it will not need an AFCI

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

BigB #209191 03/14/13 07:30 PM
That air handler with a cord/plug seems to be getting more popular; I thought it was just a Florida thing?

Hard wired (our way) it would not even be a thought.

John
BigB #209195 03/14/13 08:35 PM
T
Pardon me, but I thougt that the true purpose of the AFCI was to protect sleepers from the consequence of plug connected appliances.

There are a lot of embedded assumptions:

Bedroom appliances get physically abused -- as in stepped on or otherwise crunched...

They are very, very, reluctantly retired by the owners -- because the worst offenders are those that provide auxiliary space heating. AFCIs don't provide meaningful protection for corded vacuum cleaners and such.

In which case, the AFCI circuit should've been a NEMA mandate for space heaters. Yes, it'd double their cost, but they're the devices that are implicated in bedroom fires.

The notion that an AFCI circuit will actually protect against a field wiring fault -- an extremely rare mechanism for a bedroom associated fatality -- seems a reach, for me.

Anything that sensitive is going to trip out over an endless number of universal-motor circuit issues. And, universal-motors are everywhere in home appliances.

Just the arcing at a worn commutator would h a v e to stimulate any trip circuit. Arcs are arcs.

This kind of false positive is going to have users all over the nation bypassing the AFCI breakers -- probably by pulling them off the bus and installing a conventional breaker.

Tesla
BigB #209197 03/14/13 10:10 PM
Tesla:
I agree on some of your points. The mfg literature, available video clips, and other forms of advertising that I have seen, and have leaned toward the nail in the NM arc.

Back in first look at AFCI, I questioned the issues of abused 'cords' on appliances, extension cords, lamps, etc. The AFCI evolved into the 'combo' for series & parallel arcs, and supposedly protected the utilization equipment & branch circuit.

Be all that as it may, the states that adopted the various editions of the NEC, have to live with the code, unless there are local or stste amendments. Here in NJ, AFCI was mandated with the 2008 NEC (in mid 2009). We all learned to 'live with it'. ECs complained, Inspectors complained, homeowners complained, builders complained....and in the end, we all live with it.

I have not heard of anyone removing, or bypassing an AFCI.

Now, I'm looking forward to the still elusive AFCI device. It's here, somewhere & I requested a 'sample' from a Leviton Rep, & haven't heard a word back.

BTW, In my EC days, I stayed as far from resi as I could!

John
BigB #209199 03/14/13 10:47 PM
G
Tesla, it was the sleeping babies that got the camel's nose under the tent. Now the usage has expanded to virtually every circuit in the house for some ambiguous problem they have not really spelled out ... other than they were not making enough money on a $5 breaker so they found a way to sell $50 breakers.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard