ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Originally Posted by renosteinke
Texas, I did not mention Bosch because .... Bosch North America has made a deliberate decision to NOT import these tools for this market.

Found that out when I tried to buy one ...

Hotline ... what these tools do is make a pair of saw cuts about an inch apart. You still need to chip out whatever is between the slits, though a lot of the material just falls away.

Oops... didn't know about Bosch! Sorry!

This tool is basically a dual-blade circular saw with diamond blades that will cut plaster, stucco, brick and to some extent concrete. Most ECs then use a Hilti or other electric rotary hammer to chip out everything else. To some extent you can also use the plaster groover to cut in boxes, at least for the vertical cuts on a single gang or all cuts for larger boxes. For wall light boxes you could switch to core drilling... on the other hand a core drilling bit that size would most likely be impossible to use free-hand. In countries that use 60mm round switch boxes, 83mm diamond tipped core drilling bits are fairly common for installing boxes, they speed up the process considerably and reduce damage to the wall - just chiseling will give rather jagged holes and in old buildings might cause a LOT of plaster to fall. Here in Vienna, pre-WWI plaster usually didn't have any lime or cement content at all, it only consists of mud (clay/adobe), often with a cement based finish coat. That stuff chips off like crazy!

Oh, and anyway, try to convince the home owner, that plaster repair isn't black magic, at least if they're DIY types! Finding a good plasterer in the US might be a little hard...

schenimann #203920 10/31/11 02:26 PM
G
Finding a good plasterer in the US might be a little hard...

That is certainly true in SW Florida. We have 2 generations of people who are convinced "texture gun", knock down or skip trowel is OK so nobody knows how to make anything smooth.
When you find a guy who can patch and make it disappear, you are on a waiting list, even now with construction flat.

Greg Fretwell
schenimann #203922 10/31/11 02:35 PM
Last comm job that the owner wanted 'real plaster', they went & got a guy out of retirement. No joke, paid him very, very well, had a driver pick him up & take him home, and two (2) laborers to work with him.

Old world (Italian) craftsman!!

John
schenimann #203937 10/31/11 11:28 PM
S
Did the fishing from the attic today. I made a weight with the unthreaded part of a long 1/2" bolt. I tapered the ends, drilled a hole and soldered in the jack chain. It worked beautifully. I was able to pull out the insulator and drop it all the way to the box. Much nicer than fish tape. Thanks for the good idea, it worked like a charm.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard