ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 533 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
This is off on a tangent but it really ticks me off when something that doesn't really exist, gets named "Car of the Year". I think being made by Government Motors has a lot to do with that. I look at it as I see the Boeing 747 Vs the Concorde. The 747 was a gold mine. The Concorde was a slick money hole that flew only by the good graces and charity of the British and French taxpayers. I have no desire to trade my '04 Accord that gets 35+MPG on trips, running on gasoline, for a battery maintenance nightmare that runs on coal. Maybe when we get all those clean, safe nuclear power plants that the green idiots keep blocking....
Joe

S
well we exist in a capitalist system , which only offers 'enlightened self interest' capitalist remedies....

possibly of interest>

Who Killed the Electric Car?

Who Killed the Electric car movie

~S~

G
Joe,
At the risk of me getting snagged for being off-topic, everyone in the car business knows that all of those awards are for sale.
Ever wonder why so many different awards from so many different reviewers always seem to pick the same car?

My problem with the electric car is basically that it has enough range for my regular commute...assuming that I don't make any extra trips during the day or want to stop somewhere after work on my way home.

BTW, what are you supposed to do on vacation? Bring an extension cord so that you can plug it into the GFI receptacle in the bathroom of your hotel room?

***Rant ends here***

Ghost307
J
Someone brought up a good point. COLD batteries. I wonder how the batteries will work when the temp is -20ºC. I know my camera battery does NOT work when I leave it in the car. I have heard of contractors who are switching back to ni-cad because the new battery technology does not work in the cold.

Cat Servant
Some of the recent posts have come around to my point ...

Right now, it costs me about $28 (and five minutes) to fill my tank, and that tank will carry me 300 miles.

I simply cannot make an informed decision as to electric cars untill someone can tell me that I can expect 'filling' an electric car will cost me $x, take "y" minutes, and carry me "z" miles.

Likewise, we have seen 'ordinary' cars often exceed 200,000 miles before needing major work. Can anyone tell me how many miles I can expect before an electric car needs major maintenance?

At this point, I'd even settle for some data derived from places like Scottsdale, Az., that allow the use of 'golf carts' on the streets. Are electric golf carts able to perform acceptably, even in those restricted areas? Or, for that matter, what's the golf course experience as to charging time, run time, and expense?

G
I will ask my wife for the bills from the cart barn. They have a separate meter, just for the carts and this time a year, each one will be doing 36 holes. That is probably about 12-15 miles, pretty much pedal to the metal.

Greg Fretwell
S
Originally Posted by renosteinke
Some of the recent posts have come around to my point ...

Right now, it costs me about $28 (and five minutes) to fill my tank, and that tank will carry me 300 miles.

I simply cannot make an informed decision as to electric cars untill someone can tell me that I can expect 'filling' an electric car will cost me $x, take "y" minutes, and carry me "z" miles.

Likewise, we have seen 'ordinary' cars often exceed 200,000 miles before needing major work. Can anyone tell me how many miles I can expect before an electric car needs major maintenance?

At this point, I'd even settle for some data derived from places like Scottsdale, Az., that allow the use of 'golf carts' on the streets. Are electric golf carts able to perform acceptably, even in those restricted areas? Or, for that matter, what's the golf course experience as to charging time, run time, and expense?

all fair Q's Reno

but i wouldn't hold my breath for straight answers on such a politicized issue

~S~

L
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I will ask my wife for the bills from the cart barn. They have a separate meter, just for the carts and this time a year, each one will be doing 36 holes. That is probably about 12-15 miles, pretty much pedal to the metal.

Not to be a spoil sport, but is this data worth anything ????

Power to weight ratio, duty cycle, battery chemistry, regenerative braking or lack there of, etc. Do any of these factors relate to what the OP was asking? I am sure Alan in France can tell you how much he has to charge his electric bike, but none of it answers the basic question.
What is the "at the plug Watt Hour per mile"

Larry C

T
EVs are not going to be economically competitive for a VERY long time.

Battery/Cell research in the labs indicates that next generation Li-ion holds the promise of FINALLY getting close.

But they are going to be a rich man's toy.

EVs are NOT practical at all in cold weather.

It is not practical to recharge them with PV arrays: EVs need to charge at night.

Tesla
J
One of the things that tends to bias me against electric cars is the fact that I maintain 22 inverters, of one manufacturer, along our right-of-way. These inverters contain 37, 12 volt, 10 year(yeah right), VRLA batteries. These inverters don't have to move, just sit there humming along. The batteries all share the same ambient conditions, with even a little heat provided beneath them. They are there to provide 10 minutes of battery backup at full rated load but also to provide seamless switching when traction power fails, over to the utility. Why is it that one or two batteries in the string will just crap out? For me it's no more seamless switching. For you, in a an electric car, it's a hole in your electric gas tank. One poster mentioned enough range for his daily commute. I guess you can probably count on that when you drive it out of the dealership. What about a year later? Remember how each new battery technology would come out and they would tell us, "These batteries do not have memory problems like NiCds."??? I've got a bunch of NiMHs that make liars out of them. LiPos are great for power output per weight but like to puff up and burst into flame. Most of the batteries I work with shouldn't be discharged below 1.75 VPC. Frequent deep discharging shortens battery life. Recharging at too high a rate isn't good for the plates and also shortens life. Do electric cars have any way to equalize the string during charging? Do you get to switch your car or charger for the choice between rapid charge or best battery life? Forgive me for not researching each of these issues with the electrics but I have no desire to place any trust in one. Let's face it, you won't likely be in much danger if your golf cart quits on you.
Joe

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard