ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 402 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
How about a radar speed sign? seems like it might be the most cost effect method. See them around here quite a bit and it does seem to help. Speed bumps and round abouts are used here aswell for traffic calming in residental areas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radar_speed_sign

G
That is the trailer we are talking about.

Speed bumps can be hard to get on a public road.
We had one hoa member suggest it and he was shouted down.
The DOT said they would not do it or allow us to do it anyway.

Greg Fretwell
G
How about parking the residents' cars on both sides of the street and staggering them so the thru traffic has to either go slow or weave their way down the road? It may not stop them but it should infuriate the 65MPH+ clown.

Ghost307
H
How about a "Cardboard" cop? I have seen stories of people using a cut out of a patrolman holding a radar gun. It seems to slow people down. If not for safety, maybe they just want to get a look at it. smile

K
The thing I’ve noticed with speed bumps is that if they go over them fast enough, they don’t really even feel them. Especially in a truck, van or SUV type vehicle. I know with my own truck, or the wife’s small SUV, if I drive over them anything above 25 MPH, I barely feel them, however if I slow down to a crawl, it really throws the vehicle upward. The spacing for multiple speed bumps seems to make a difference as well, but they people will eventually learn how fast they need to go to get over them the smoothest. Sometimes people even will drive on sidewalks and lawns to get around them at night, when no one is looking.
Another issue is that they might raise hell with the plow trucks during a snow storm.

Cat Servant
At the risk of finding a mob of pitchfork-wielding peasants at my door, I have a contrary opinion to offer.

It's a public street. That means that every driver has just as much a right to use the street as anyone else. You don't like that, too bad.

Speeding is another issue, and one for the police to enforce. They ought to be willing to have someone there a few times to see if there is any substance to your complaint. Assuming that they manage to catch a few, the police will likely welcome finding a new source of revenue.

Otherwise, your solution is political - that is, get the city to close off one end of the street. Or, they can deed the street over to you and then you can put a gate on it.

Like electricity, traffic takes ALL possible paths.

G
If Larry's cops are anything like ours, they could care less about lawbreakers...unless someone sideswipes the patrol car while the cop is napping in it.

smile

Ghost307
Reno:
I don't own a pitchfork!
Yes, the streets are public domain, but there are 'laws' that we all should abide by for we live within a society of people, not alone.

The speeding issue I mentioned involves the safety of pedistrians, kids, bike riders, walkers, etc. Personally, the 25 MPH limit is on the low side, but that is what's posted.

As to the 'speed bumps'...the Twp I work in uses 'speed humps' (6' wide, curb to curb) on resi streets with issues, and they seem to work quite well. Yes, they are a PITA, but they were necessary. They also installed a lot of 'stop' signs, which slow down the speed on the problem streets. Again, some think this is a PITA, but it works.

And with the recent 2-3' of snow, there was no issues with the 'speed humps' & plows; but there are issues with the 'speed bumps' in the gated communities.

End of soap box....

John
L
LarryC Offline OP
At the risk of finding a mob of pitchfork-wielding peasants at my door, I have a contrary opinion to offer.

It's a public street. That means that every driver has just as much a right to use the street as anyone else. You don't like that, too bad.

Not a problem, no offense taken. I understand that the public can use any street they wish. I am just looking for a means to collect data and inform the police of what I think is an unsafe condition. If they choose to do something, that is their decision. If I disagree with their decision, I have other avenues I can pursue.

T
Anywhere I know of, doing 65 mph in a 25 zone is a spectacular fine and a trip to the local jail. You don't just sign the book and drive on.

A couple of such tickets per week would pay for the trooper. One per day would cover the county budget.

You need to set up a 'hide' for the county mounty so that his business is pleasant.

As for personal traffic control: that went out with Robin Hood. Only officialdom is allowed to rob passersby these days.

Tesla
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard