ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 545 guests, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Where this seems most troubling is in town houses or duplexes, running through the attic.
I have never seen it but the example presented was meter mains on one end of the building feeding the units via the attic using a cable.
I don't remember where the thread was but if I get a few minutes I will see if it is still up.

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

K
I was working in a relatively new condo complex a while back and in the basement of the first unit behind the meter stack, I noticed all the SER’s for the other individual units running right through the floor joists above, so apparently there’s no code issue with that here either.
With commercial, I think almost all would be in conduit around here anyway, so power theft might be at least a little more difficult. I suppose all they would need to do is cover the conduits with 2” of concrete and it would be considered outside the building.

G
That was kind of the thrust of the conversation. The feeder would be an attractive target for a power thief and the danger presented by the flying tap is sizable.
The best you could hope for would be a Kupltap and worst case would be a hose clamp and duct tape.

Greg Fretwell
H
Greg,

I have seen a lot of those feeders running through attics in the condos around here. Like everyone else is saying, not fond of it, but can't fail it.

Harold:
The condo developement that is on the last bldg (22 units each) has each units feeder run thru the common hallways, and the risers are thru a common chase to the second & third floors.

The feeders thru the common hallways are installed within the truss type floor joists, fire/draft stopped at all penetrations, and then one layer of 5/8 FC shtrk is installed on the bottoms of the joists. Framing is then installed (8" drop) and the sprinkler lines, HVAC and any other items are mounted in this space, and the bottom is rocked w/ 5/8". The common chase mentioned above is 5/8 rock inside & out.

There are no feeders in the truss attics, only required lighting & radon fans.

Now, the 'old' buildings.....that's another story....

John
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard