ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 534 guests, and 26 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
loud & clear HotOne

at first sniff, there appears to be an option via either a afci breaker OR receptacle

but then there's those multiwire circiuts that would dictate the afci receptacle

so all afci hand wringing aside, the powers that be have essentially created code for which exists no widget

at least that i can find....maybe i'm asking the wrong sources?

'cause i'll kinda need to, being Vermont is the afci mecca of the electrical universe, and they'll probably adopt the 11' in June, July here

~S~

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

~s~:
Even if you adopt the '11 mid year, the section you quoted is not effective till '14, correct? Or am I on the wrong page?

John
S
Yes, you're correct HotOne

but keep in mind Vermont adopted afci's via their state statues in the '99 cycle

we're crazy about 'em here....

~S~

~s~:
The elusive AFCI device prototype is a P&S Legrand item.
Have you checked with the Vermont P&S rep? I'm surprised that as you guys 'need' AFCI for 12 years P&S did not jump into the Vermont market.

John
G
They've been known to create Code rules for things that will be available sometime later.

Remember that the requirement for 'rated' boxes for ceiling fans came out before there were any 'rated' boxes on the market?

Ghost307
G
My feeling is these products exist when they are proposed but they are not through the testing/listing phase yet. I know Harvey Johnson (Cuttler Hammer)had a prototype AFCI in his garage at least a year before the first proposal was sent to NFPA. I gave him one of my old Tektronics 453 scopes and a current probe to play with. He was looking at different types of arc signatures. I think his son was working at the lab but Harv was working from his home in beautiful downtown Estero Florida.

Greg Fretwell
S
Originally Posted by HotLine1
~s~:
The elusive AFCI device prototype is a P&S Legrand item.
Have you checked with the Vermont P&S rep? I'm surprised that as you guys 'need' AFCI for 12 years P&S did not jump into the Vermont market.

actually that's a good suggestion HotOne

~S~

S
Originally Posted by gfretwell
My feeling is these products exist when they are proposed but they are not through the testing/listing phase yet. I know Harvey Johnson (Cuttler Hammer)had a prototype AFCI in his garage at least a year before the first proposal was sent to NFPA. I gave him one of my old Tektronics 453 scopes and a current probe to play with. He was looking at different types of arc signatures. I think his son was working at the lab but Harv was working from his home in beautiful downtown Estero Florida.

I would love to hear Harvey's opinie on the afci, especially after a decade of evolution Greg

~S~

G
Harvey passed a few years ago.

Greg Fretwell
S
Condolences.....

it'd be like talking to a founding father about the constitution for me Greg

oh, and HotOne, nothing in the P&S, or Lev websites so far

~S~

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard