ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 510 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Cat Servant
There never was a listing for the lamp; having a listed cord does not make it a listed appliance - though plenty of manufacturers have tried to trick customers that way frown

Just for general information: I was wrong; this product could, in theory, become a listed product. It would undergo a pretty simple investigation as well, probably costing the maker about $1000. (UL will make its' money off the lables).

G
Lamps tend to be art objects anyway. Electrically, none should cost more than $10, including the bulb. It is what holds the lamp holder that costs the money and that is usually 50 cents worth of wood, clay or pot metal, put together in some imaginative way.

Do you remember the movie with Sandra Bullock (or one of her clones) where the girl makes lamps out of stuff in her daddy's hardware store and sells them for huge bucks at the end.
I have to admit, they do sell an interesting assortment of lamp parts at the big box for making your own lamp (or making hash pipes) wink

Greg Fretwell
W
No switch, good thing it fits a CFL. LOL

B
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I would say they lost their U/L listing when they cut the receptacle off the end of that Carol cord and put a lamp holder on it.

Looking at the lamp ad again, it looks like the extension cord is sold to be used intact, without cutting off the female end. The ad shows an adapter that plugs into the extension cord and allows the bulb to be screwed into it. So presumabily all components are UL approved and utilized for (close to) their intended function. The excess cord is just coiled in a unique manner. grin

G
If that is what they are doing, I agree. You could come off the receptacle, into a plug/receptacle switch, then into a plug in lamp holder with all listed parts.
It really then just has you buying the lexan frame as the unique part.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
Beachboy, that's where you have to actually look at the lable.

The cord is listed as a cord. Using a listed cord does not make a listed lamp.

Creative? Sure. Ugly? A matter of taste; assemble one on a job site, and I bet the framers will think you're a real McGyver!

I'm still laughing at maintenance guy's coiled hose sink! laugh

Wood work but can't!
B
How cold do you figure the photography studio had to be before the extension cord would hold that perfect shape for the picture?

I don't have a problem with it from a safety standpoint, I just wonder how that ridiculous thing will look the first time the A/C goes out and the house heats up to 85 degrees?

-John

S
Of course, you can only leave it plugged in for 90 days, then you have to replace the lamp with a permanant receptacle.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard