ECN Forum
Posted By: Retired_Helper DIY Coil Lamp from Extension Cord - 10/21/09 12:57 AM
Take a look at this:

Coil Lamp

Any comments? How safe is this thing? confused
Posted By: canuck Re: DIY Coil Lamp from Extension Cord - 10/21/09 01:08 AM
Don't know electrically how safe it is(UL listed portable luminaire?) but it certianly is not safe for my eyes or my wallet.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: DIY Coil Lamp from Extension Cord - 10/21/09 01:51 AM
Put a 'designer' sounding name on, & you can sell anything!
Posted By: renosteinke Re: DIY Coil Lamp from Extension Cord - 10/21/09 02:26 AM
I like it!

Heck, if this becomes standard, maybe we'll be able to change the NEC, so household receptacles can be 50 ft. ... or even 100 ft. ... apart! laugh

I can see all the worrysome 'what ifs'. As a customer assembled product, I suspect it would be problematic getting it UL listed, no matter how sound the design. After all, UL places a lot of stock in their factory inspection service.

Then again, the homeowner won't have to look far to find an extension cord. laugh
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: DIY Coil Lamp from Extension Cord - 10/21/09 02:43 AM
Reno:

You seem to forget...a decent extension cord already comes with a UL label!

Heck, you should see how some enterprising 'sign shops' hang all kinds of UL labels on their sign boxes!
Posted By: renosteinke Re: DIY Coil Lamp from Extension Cord - 10/21/09 02:52 AM
laugh I can't disagree with that! Ditto for some very expensive (can you believe some folks consider $150 cheap?) listed fixtures.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: DIY Coil Lamp from Extension Cord - 10/21/09 02:57 AM
BTW, saw a floor lamp (torchiere) the other day, 3 bulb, candelabra base, little glass shades, kind of butt ugly in my opinion....price tag hanging on it was $979.99

Guess beauty is still in the eye of the beholder!
Posted By: gfretwell Re: DIY Coil Lamp from Extension Cord - 10/21/09 05:36 AM
I would say they lost their U/L listing when they cut the receptacle off the end of that Carol cord and put a lamp holder on it.
Posted By: maintenanceguy Re: DIY Coil Lamp from Extension Cord - 10/21/09 12:59 PM
I wouldn't buy it but I wouldn't be scared of it either.

Looks like the coiled cord has enough air space not to get hot. With a single cfl (even if they put an incandescent in it) it still draws so little current there's no voltage drop issue. And I'm not worried about "after market" wire splices. I make them all the time.

I've got a sink made out of coiled garden hose I'm selling for $500.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: DIY Coil Lamp from Extension Cord - 10/21/09 01:50 PM
er..it may not have occurred to the designer, but the idea of a lamp is to provide light. The clue is in the name. It's also the main reason why all those mundane, clay-footed fuddy-duddy-dinosaur designers in the past made shades from translucent or transparent materials. This thing obscures at least three quarters of the CFL's already sparse lumens that are projected horizontally. If what you desperately need is a dim circle of light on the ceiling and have $150 burning a hole in your pocket, this is the baby for you! Alternatively, why not wrap an existing lampshade in spirals of insulting tape and save $$$! laugh
Posted By: renosteinke Re: DIY Coil Lamp from Extension Cord - 10/21/09 02:39 PM
There never was a listing for the lamp; having a listed cord does not make it a listed appliance - though plenty of manufacturers have tried to trick customers that way frown

Just for general information: I was wrong; this product could, in theory, become a listed product. It would undergo a pretty simple investigation as well, probably costing the maker about $1000. (UL will make its' money off the lables).
Posted By: gfretwell Re: DIY Coil Lamp from Extension Cord - 10/21/09 05:18 PM
Lamps tend to be art objects anyway. Electrically, none should cost more than $10, including the bulb. It is what holds the lamp holder that costs the money and that is usually 50 cents worth of wood, clay or pot metal, put together in some imaginative way.

Do you remember the movie with Sandra Bullock (or one of her clones) where the girl makes lamps out of stuff in her daddy's hardware store and sells them for huge bucks at the end.
I have to admit, they do sell an interesting assortment of lamp parts at the big box for making your own lamp (or making hash pipes) wink
Posted By: WESTUPLACE Re: DIY Coil Lamp from Extension Cord - 10/22/09 02:52 AM
No switch, good thing it fits a CFL. LOL
Posted By: Beachboy Re: DIY Coil Lamp from Extension Cord - 10/23/09 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I would say they lost their U/L listing when they cut the receptacle off the end of that Carol cord and put a lamp holder on it.

Looking at the lamp ad again, it looks like the extension cord is sold to be used intact, without cutting off the female end. The ad shows an adapter that plugs into the extension cord and allows the bulb to be screwed into it. So presumabily all components are UL approved and utilized for (close to) their intended function. The excess cord is just coiled in a unique manner. grin
Posted By: gfretwell Re: DIY Coil Lamp from Extension Cord - 10/23/09 07:30 PM
If that is what they are doing, I agree. You could come off the receptacle, into a plug/receptacle switch, then into a plug in lamp holder with all listed parts.
It really then just has you buying the lexan frame as the unique part.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: DIY Coil Lamp from Extension Cord - 10/23/09 11:09 PM
Beachboy, that's where you have to actually look at the lable.

The cord is listed as a cord. Using a listed cord does not make a listed lamp.

Creative? Sure. Ugly? A matter of taste; assemble one on a job site, and I bet the framers will think you're a real McGyver!
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: DIY Coil Lamp from Extension Cord - 10/23/09 11:40 PM
I'm still laughing at maintenance guy's coiled hose sink! laugh
Posted By: BigJohn Re: DIY Coil Lamp from Extension Cord - 10/24/09 01:43 AM
How cold do you figure the photography studio had to be before the extension cord would hold that perfect shape for the picture?

I don't have a problem with it from a safety standpoint, I just wonder how that ridiculous thing will look the first time the A/C goes out and the house heats up to 85 degrees?

-John
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: DIY Coil Lamp from Extension Cord - 10/26/09 06:11 PM
Of course, you can only leave it plugged in for 90 days, then you have to replace the lamp with a permanant receptacle.
© ECN Electrical Forums