ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 197 guests, and 33 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
If I recall, there is the notion of "protecting from physical abrasion or damage" or something like that, I'm wondering at what point normal landscaping / groundskeeping activities, moving water hoses around in the gardens, etc, could become a potential "cause" for the need to protect these wires in some fashion? Especially the ones zip-tied to suction line insulation that at some point degrades and leaves the wires hanging loose...

But if the low voltages on the conductors are by design (as bounded by the NEC requirements and UL type listings) not capable to ignite or cause physical electric shock, perhaps under the NEC there just isn't any concern for "loss of AC" by damage to the wire?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Tom Offline
I'm going to have to retract what I said about Class 2 cables being used outdoors.

I dug out my UL White Book and under the heading "Power-Limited Circuit Cable (QPTZ)" , the basic listing only covers use "within" buildings. Since that means inside, cables outside would need to be marked "wet location" and to me, that would apply even if the cable is installed in a raceway (see def. of wet location).

That said, there are probably millions of installations of CL2 cable exposed to the weather (my air conditioner is one of them) and of the ones I've seen, I've never seen damaged jackets or bare conductors.

I agree that because of the low voltage and energy involved that there is little chance of shock or fire.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
B
Learning about NEC requirments for low voltage instrument and BAS wiring as been a very interesting exercise.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard