ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#182637 12/05/08 10:51 AM
JoeKP Offline OP
hey everyone, just to let you know, i am a really good It Tech, and if you have any questions or need help with computers, just feel free to ask me smile I'd be glad to help.

-Joe
“then we'll glue em' then screw em'”
-Tom Silva
TOH
P
pdh Offline
You wanna do the Windows cases and let me handle the Linux cases?

JoeKP Offline OP
sure smile im not the best with linux anyway

-Joe
-Tom Silva
TOH
G
OK I will bite

What is the trick to get XP machines to talk to w/98 machines on a network

Greg Fretwell
JoeKP Offline OP
you have to make sure that they are on the same workgroup (ex. MSHOME)then make sure that the IP is set to config automatically
then restart, then look in the my network places

-Joe
-Tom Silva
TOH
G
I haven't loaded the XP machine yet but the last time I tried it they couldn't see each other and I downloaded some stuff from Microsoft for the W/98 machines. It still didn't work and I gave up. Now my wife wants the XP on her machine but I fear she will be lost to the rest of my W/98 network.

Greg Fretwell
One trick I've discovered, that seems to make Windows XP machines "talk" better to other computers on a home network, is to add another protocol (I usually add IPX/SPX) in the properties of your network connection. To do this, go to "My Network Places", click "View Network Connections", right-click on the connection you're using (probably "Local Area Connection" unless you're using wireless) and select "Properties". Then, Install>Protocol>IPX/SPX. You may need your Windows CD, and will have to restart your computer after the protocol is installed. You should do the same on the Win98 machine, although the steps might be slightly different.

Also, check the properties on "My Computer" and make sure that your Workgroup (on the "Computer Name" tab) is the same on all of your computers, as was suggested previously.

I had some Windows XP computers on a home network with a Windows 95 machine (486), and everything seemed to work ok once I did those steps on all computers involved. I'm pretty sure that I even had printer sharing up and running.

For the Linux guy: How do you mount a drive from a Mac running OS X 10.4.11 on Ubuntu 8.10, without using FTP? I had it working on an older machine running 8.04, and don't remember the steps I took... I think I did something with Samba, but that option isn't in the "Connect to server" menu on 8.10 and there are too many samba-related options listed in Syanptic Package Manager for me to do any testing there. Of course, I reformatted the machine I had it working on, so I can't just go and check. [/me slaps forehead]

G
OK I guess I will load it up and see what happens, Thanks

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard