ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 514 guests, and 40 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Bren reminds me...
The main thing that I find is that you have to have a SINGLE place to put your information or you'll end up chasing down where you put the note or task information.
A PDA is like a note pad that never gets filled. There is always room for more information.

Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
B
Well, I've been lurking and learning for quite awhile and want to contribute on a topic I do know a little bit about.

First, like others have said. If you can't force yourself to rely on whatever PDA you get for ALL your note taking, calendar, phone book, address book, etc needs, it's just another thing to loose. If you already use a one source paper system, (like a Franklin Planner or Day Timer), this should be easy. If you can't force yourself to do this one source system, PDA's and planners are a waste of good money.

My preference: An HP Jornada 728 handheld.

It won't carry in your shirt pocket, but comes with a belt holster. I usually just toss it on the front seat, like I did with my paper planner.

Works like a PDA but is a clamshell mini laptop computer complete with the software like Microsoft Office. Including the reminder alarm clock type thing for appointments.

Has a keypad. Comes with a built in modem. Let's you handwrite notes on the screen.

http://www.hp-expo.com/uk/eng/products/jornada/f4356a.html

The three things I like the most about mine are:

the ability to have PDF Instruction manuals stored on it. As a Home Inspector, I've got to have the reference material readily availabale on all kinds of topics, because I am regularly challenged. It's kind of hard to argue, when shown the manufacturers installation instructions. (Adobe doesn't offer a reader for PDA, but you can buy one for about $80.00.)

The way it functions as a mini- laptop.
It has most of the basic computer software you need. No learning curve for new software. Specialized software, such as electrical calculations are available.

I can (and have frequently) surfed the net and read this Bulletin Board from it.

Comes with a 64 megabyte Compact Flash Card that backs everything up. For a few bucks more, you can get an overnight replacement warranty. You drop it, it breaks, you call California, HP overnights another one. You pull the compact flash card from the broken one, insert in the new one, restore your backup file and you're (almost) right back to where you where by 10:00 the next morning. ALMOST! Yeah almost. It depends on how regular you are about backing up your files. I make sure to back up every couple of days.

Thanks to all who share your knowledge here. It's a great resource and an excellent learning tool for me.

[This message has been edited by B4UClose (edited 12-16-2002).]

E
Has anybody ever used a Blackberry PDA? They just came out with a model that doubles as a Nextel phone. I don't know about where you guys live, but around here most contractors use Nextels almost exclusively. This way I wouldn't have to have another thing to keep up with, just a new phone.

B4,

Welcome to ECN. I hope that you will give us your feedback on other issues as well.

Bill

Bill
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard