ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 173 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
H
Greg,

I didn't get a chance to finish the above post. I must have hit the wrong button. I was going to add to that post, sorry for the ranting, but I just had to rant and rave somewhere! smile I am seeing a lot of negative post about the new 2008 NEC and I haven't even gotten through the whole thing yet.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
The federal government recently adopted ICC (and NEC) as the official federal building code for DoD, NASA and a few other agencies, wheras they always had their own special codes before. Many of the code changes in 2008 seem to have been driven by experts in government agencies that never really cared before, but often have unique requirements that weren't adequately addressed, or lessons learned that apply just as well to the commercial world. Article 708, for example.

That, and the internet is making it easier and easier to collaborate- we all saw and discussed the proposed changes to 2008. How many of us saw the same for 2005? I bet it's WAY more than reviewed 2002 or 1999 or 1975. More collaboration = more feedback = more changes.

M
Taken from a FAQ ragarding TR receptacles on the Leviton web site....
"Q. What do I need to tell my customers about TR receptacles to minimize callbacks?
A. Tell them they may have difficulty inserting some plugs into the receptacles. Prongs have to be perfectly straight to work with TR
receptacles. Inexpensive adapters are available as a solution. In some cases, frayed or damaged plugs may have to be replaced; if
other damage exists, the appliance should be replaced."

I sure hope that the adapters are TR also....if not it sort of defeats the purpose doesn't it? It would be even funnier if they were talking about the good old ungrounded adapter.

"We can do it, you can't help" said my son to the HD guy
Harold: (& anyone else interested)
'08 may be coming...soon, heard from a reliable source 'mid-summer' & usual 6 months.

Also, it sounds like AFCI time will be upon us, along with the TP/WR receptacles.

We (NJEIA) did the 9 hr of Code changes in Jan, and will be doing it again in Oct. TP/WR was a hot subject. I have lit & samples from P&S that I used in Jan. P&S rep mentioned 'slight cost increase factor' & indicated now costs will drop as demand dictates.

Don't rant to much.

John
H
John,

I just got a P&S sample of TR receptacle, I mean it looks OK but all the extra cost! Plus the cost of AFCI! I don't think anyone will be getting permits anymore. The "Handymen" will be doing all of the work without permits and the Lic. EC's won't be able to compete with their prices. What will we do on old houses and the Arc faults? Some of the old wiring is multi-branch, So I guess we will have to use a 2 pole Arc Fault at $(How much?, $75? $150? $250?) I don't know what the price of those are. I wish the state didn't adopted the 2008 with out some modifications. I guess we will just have to see.

Cat Servant
Actually, regarding multi-wire branch circuits ...

I have a letter, purporting to be from NEMA, saying in essence "too bad if you can't AFCI a MWBC." There may not be a way to AFCI, or combination AFCI, such a circuit. I just don't know - and I have my doubts about that "document."

G
Did you all get your free demo from Pass and Seymore. They have a TR receptacle on a card with a plug (2>3 prong adapter) and a paper clip. It is to demonstrate a paper clip will not go in but the plug will. As long as you line the plug up straight it works pretty well, but so does the paper clip if you unfold and make a "V" out of it.

Greg Fretwell
S
This way, only the cleverest kids are able to electrocute themselves.

R
The report on injuries to children inserting things in to receptacles and getting injured cited burn injuries. This would mean that they had to have two conductive objects. The design of the TR receptacle that I played with does not prevent the insertion of two objects. When this was proposed I thought that if you did not insert something in each slot at the same time the shutters would not open. That appears not to be the case. You can put an object in one slot and the shutter will not open, but when you put a second object in the other slot, both shutters open. If we are going to have to have these things, then the shutter design should require that you push against both shutters at the same time.

Don(resqcapt19)
S
And a failsafe, that pushing against one shutter before the other foils the device. Without something like that, this is rather pointless.

Gonna make plugging in that clock radio to the outlet behind the bed rather difficult.

Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard