ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 164 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
The fast food joints I have worked in got around this "middle of the room" problem with pendant cords. Take a look at the "fry dump" at a Burger King. They are fryers and the dump station on a cart. (at least around here)

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
Unfortunately the "powers that be" design the kitchens. Us lowly electricians have no input; we just deal with the probs.

G
Sometime you have to fight the power. These fast food places don't make a lot of mistakes. My experience is 12 years old but they had their stuff so 16 year olds could move it around and hose out behind it. I seem to remember IEC(309?) connectors hanging on SO cord in kellum grips

Greg Fretwell
R
Originally Posted by Steve Miller
You think you have commercial kitchen probs:
I work for a school system in VA and we're just going to the 05 code (we're a little slow here). We have about 75 schools and each has a kitchen. Each kitchen has from one to about ten receptacles mounted on boxes about 3 inches off the floor (and fed by a pipe in the slab) to plug in the various coolers and warmers. Now these all need to be GFIs. We're guessing the life of an "in use" cover to be about the third time they move the machine (they all have wheels to move for cleaning) and the life of the GFI to be the third mopping. GFI breakers are feasable in about 2/3 of the panels but the mops will still fill the receps with water and the compressors will still occasionally trip a GFI and ruin the milk or ice cream overnight. The AHJ has already told us he will not grant us an exception and allow single receps (like the residential exception) even for dedicated circuits, which these all are. We anticipate a nightmare.

Why are you having to CHANGE EXISTING equipment to a new code? What am I missing here?

RC

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard