ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 506 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
We had a representative from SESCO LIGHTING at the February IAEI Meeting. They gave a nice 1-hr CEU course on the topic of LED and other solid state lighting systems.

Like other emerging technologies, it is way too expensive at this point. But 5 years from now, I don't see incandescent or CF being relavent.

I will send you a copy of the power point, Greg...

Bryan P. Holland, ECO.
Secretary - IAEI Florida Chapter
S
Originally Posted by BPHgravity
The problem with CF lamps is that the energy required to manufacure them far exceeds that for which is needed to manufacture an incandescent lamp.
I believe it's more than break-even compared to the energy saved during use, though. They're all made in China and other third-world countries that don't have pesky environmental regulations that might cut into profits, same as the incandescents and LEDs.

Speaking of which... mercury is a trace element in coal, and around 50 tons are released into the environment every year by coal-fired power plants. About 14% of that could be reduced by switching to CFLs. (Not to mention uranium, lead, arsenic, etc) It would take about 8.75 billion CFL bulbs smashed up in a landfill to equal the amount of mercury saved by widespread CFL use. You're all recycling those CFLs, so it's not an issue, right? (lol)

I, too, eagerly await practical, inexpensive and well-balanced LED bulbs. I use them in all my flashlights, but not my house. For now? I extensively use CFLs because they save me a lot of money. It's actually cheaper to remove and throw away a brand new incandescent than to wait until it burns out- and electricty is cheap as hell here. THAT is the real benefit.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard