ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 586 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
SvenNYC Offline OP
The problem with stripping wire with a pen knife is you wind up nicking the conductor and making gouges in it (which makes it thinner and increases the electrical resistance at that point). It also physically weakens it.

In a pinch I've used very sharp razor blades to strip 18-gauge zip cord (for lamps)...and I've gotten good at it where I don't cut any strands along with the rubber sheath.

But the proper way to strip wire is to use a stripper set to the correct gauge. (Also there are some T-strippers that are made for solid wire and some for stranded).

C
C-H Offline

The problem with stripping wire with a pen knife is you wind up nicking the conductor and making gouges in it (which makes it thinner and increases the electrical resistance at that point). It also physically weakens it.

So? This is more of a problem with stranded wires where you will lose a few strands. A little scarring of the wire - who cares? It's damaged by the terminal screw or wire nut anyway.

C
C-H,

I agree, it's not a huge issue. However, I have seen some well-intentioned DIYers severly damage solid wire by stripping it with a knife. I just think that inexpensive T-strippers do a much better and faster job.

BTW, Many electricians use their linesman's pliers to strip wire, which can do just as much damage as a knife. Obviously, linesmans are not designed to strip wire.

Peter
S
BTW, Many electricians use their linesman's pliers to strip wire

note to Wirenuttt,
i'll bring my anatomy book if you bring your linesmans.....

[Linked Image]

C
C-H Offline
>I just think that inexpensive T-strippers
>do a much better and faster job.

I have bought one or two inexpensive wire strippers, but found that they are of poor quality. (Surprise!) Sure, expensive quality stripper work like magic, but would you expect a D-I-Y to buy one? [Linked Image]

Seeing an electrician at work make me go "Hey, how did he do that? He started two seconds ago and now all wires are stripped and ready!" I still haven't gotten the outer sheet off... [Linked Image]

P
It's just practice, and developing a method the one feels comfortable with.

Some sparkies prefer end-action wirestrippers, others prefer the side-action type.

Using a dull knife while penciling off the insulation, is the best way.

If the electrician uses a pair of lineman pliers and doesn't have the "touch" down pat, and "knicks" the wire, that electrican fails because that simple knick in the wire at the termination onto a circuit breaker, or other termination will be easily broken with movement!

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 11-25-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
M
I have been a member of the IAEI for a few years now and got my copy of the 2002 NEC for, I think, $5 (to cover S&H) through them.

Oh, and I use a razor knife to strip wire over #10. [Linked Image]

G
Gwz Offline
As noted by Don, some one must pay for the continuing updating of the NEC ( and other codes ).

It is not a cheap process which has,recently, been done every three years.

Unless you are lucky enough to be supported by manufacturers who want to get their products to be required by the code, I believe very few individuals would be willing to put so much " free time " into the continuing process.

Book rates, seminars, are some of the ways to pay for the privilege of having a document accepted Nationally and which anyone, such as myself, can make proposals to be consided.

Every proposal received by the NFPA must be addressed by the CMP.

Otherwise, I imagine, the license fees and the permit fees would sky-rocket for muninicpalities to address their own code and keep it updated as is the NEC.

Yes, I would like an absolutely free NEC book every three years with-out being a member of any organiztion too, but I think I'm realistic on this subject.

What a mess, in electrical installations, we would have with-out codes. Even with codes it is bad enough because so many installers and inspectors have their own ideas rather than follow existing codes.

NFPA Membership will get you the rights to download the 93, 96, and 99 NEC and access the 2002 online.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 11-27-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard