ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (HotLine1), 128 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Y
The last time I was in a television studio (KATU 2, Portland, Oregon, in 2003) they were using banks of CFL lights.

Wow, I had no idea they were used in this application. The reduced heat output definitely is an advantage.

32VAC Offline OP
It appears that Canada is also moving towards a "cleaner" light source also:

Canada aims for light bulb phase-out

From correspondents on Ottawa
April 26, 2007 02:02am
Article from: Reuters

CANADA has switched on to Australia's plan to ban incandescent light bulbs, with Ottowa announcing its own timetable to ban the sale of the inefficient bulbs by 2012.

The ban was part of a plan to cut down on emissions of greenhouse gases, Natural Resources Minister Gary Lunn said today.

Canada is the second country in the world to announce such a ban, after Australia said in February it would phase out all incandescent bulbs by 2009.

“Making the switch to more efficient lighting is one of the easiest and most effective things we can do to reduce energy use and harmful emissions,” Mr Lunn told a news conference today.

If households installed compact fluorescent bulbs - which use about 75 per cent less electricity than old-style bulbs - they could save C$50 ($53) a year, he said.

“By banning inefficient lighting, we can reduce our greenhouse gas emissions by more than six million tonnes per year,” Mr Lunn said.

The ban will not apply to uses where incandescent bulbs are still the only practical alternative.

Today's federal announcement follows last week's pledge by the Canadian province of Ontario to ban incandescent bulbs by 2012.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21623321-1702,00.html

32VAC Offline OP
Britain follows Australia in light globe switch off

From correspondents in London
September 28, 2007 06:55pm
Article from: AAP

BRITAIN is to follow Australia's lead and phase out high-energy lightbulbs in an attempt to cut millions of tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions.

The Howard Government announced in February that Australia would become the first country in the world to ban the sale of incandescent light bulbs from 2009.

Britain will begin pulling the plug on conventional light bulbs by introducing a phase out plan next year.

Environment Secretary Hilary Benn said Britain would aim to replace all traditional light bulbs with energy efficient globes within four years, saving five million tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions annually.

"The major retailers and energy suppliers are now leading a voluntary initiative, with the strong support of the lighting industry and the Government, to help phase out traditional high-energy light bulbs," he said.

"We need to turn them off for good."

Mr Benn flagged that he also wanted a phasing out of inefficient household appliances.

"There are many more energy hungry gadgets on sale in shops that waste too much energy," he said.

"That's why I want to see today's initiative widened.

"I want to see more retailers, manufacturers and service providers taking action to phase out the least efficient products from their ranges, for example, certain set top boxes and TVs, and so help offer greener choices to their customers."

Under the phase-out plan, British retailers will stop stocking the brightest 150-watt bulbs from January.

They will then stop selling 100-watt bulbs by January 2009 and then scrap 60-watt bulbs by January 2010.

Other standard incandescent light bulbs, such as 40-watt light globes as well as candle and golf-ball lamps, will be removed from shelves by December 2011.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22499123-23109,00.html

P
Time to start stockpiling bulbs!

For what good it will do (probably none), there are two petitions currently running on the No. 10 petitions website:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/savelightbulb/

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/incandescent/

They're only open to U.K. citizens and residents to sign, I'm afraid, but I'm willing to stand up and be counted.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard