ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 510 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Stapling Cat-5e wire is OK as long as the following is taken into account...

I've stapled data wiring when there was no other way, like around baseboards and doors for limited distances. I agree with what you say but I can tell you that controlling the staple and the T-25 stapler as you suggest is next to impossible and at best will take you forever. Also if you don't press firmly down on the stapler you risk the chance of putting a staple through the cable. Then you have to tear the whole run out and start over. [Linked Image]

-Hal

[This message has been edited by hbiss (edited 03-28-2005).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
For Cat-5 carrying 100 MB Ethernet, you've got a 12.5 MHz fundamental, which has a wavelength of 24 meters. Gigabit Ethernet on Cat-5e has a fundamental of 62.5 MHz, with a wavelength of 4.8 meters. I don't see that the slight impedance change over a distance of 3-4 millimeters is likely to have much effect on that slow of a signal. Has anybody set this up and looked at an eye plot? I doubt that you're going to see any changes in the eyes, but I can't say for sure.

H
I agree with you but a certification test will probably detect it. Even though the computers will work just fine the guys with the pocket protectors and tape on their glasses will get all bent out of shape over it.

-Hal

G
I like the white plastic GB data staples. They leave just enough wiggle room for cat5.

Cat Servant
The job I mentioned at the start of this thread is nearing completion. The walls are all closed in, painted, and textured. The data folks are making their terminations.
I notice that half of the crew has never used a toner before- and even their lead man is having some trouble ringing out pairs, and often has to use a continuity test to confirm his pairs.

I don't suppose that the installation methods have anything to do with this dificulty :-) I'll let everyone know what happens when the computers and phones are in.

A
"I want to thank you all for your responses...it's so nice to hear I'm right! :-)"

Actually, you're not right. Using staplers in Cat 5 installation is a completely normal thing nowadays. Look at these staplers from Acme Staple Company: http://www.acmestaple.com/products/wire_cable.html

Some of those are specially designed for Cat 5 and coax installation. I have them on my site and installers buy them all the time.

They have specially designed staples that don't impede on the cable at all. They're just snug enough to keep them in place, but not enough to hurt the cable. And these guys know what they are doing-- they've been around making staplers since the late 1800's.

H
they've been around making staplers since the late 1800's

Hmmm, wonder what computer wiring they had back then. [Linked Image]

Just because somebody makes something doesn't mean that it should be used. Manufacturers make all kinds of claims. You have to use your own judgement to make that determination.

-Hal

Cat Servant
As of today, the customer hasn't moved in- so I don't know how his "network" will turn out.

I appreciate the claims Acme stapler is making....I was not aware that a stapler was marketed for this use.
I cannot speak for the brand of stapler used in this job; the staples looked like the same ones used for phone lines.

Contrary to whatever Acme Stapler says, the Panduit seminar I went to some years back taught "never staple Cat 5, never use bridle rings."

Can anybody quote Belden (or other wire mfr), or TIA, or BICSI as to whether it's OK to staple Cat 5?

A
I represent Acme Staple Company, so you might think I may be biased but here are the undisputed facts:
1. The U.S. Patent office earlier this year issued a patent re: Acme's models 25AC and 37AC staple guns and staples for crush-free installation of Broadband DSL and Coax cable.
2. Prior to market introduction, these stapling products were tested by a major US wire & cable manufacturer and found to meet the manufacturer's stringent installation specifications.
3. Many companies, including leaders like Verizon, have standardized on the Acme products for their DSL installation procedures.
4. BICSI, although refraining from endorsing specific products, uses these (and other) Acme stapling products in their training facilities, as do many other educational institutions that offer installation training courses.
5. Although there are alternative Broadband installation products and procedures, the Acme products allow for a safe, fast and the most cost-effective means to secure such wires.
6. For more information go to www.acmestaple.com or e-mail info@acmestaple.com

Onno Boswinkel

Cat Servant
Acme, I thank you for your reply. I am sure that I am not the only one who welcomes an easier way of doing things!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard