ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 166 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#153736 11/10/03 07:35 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
I guess that with the benefits of true local democracy comes the added complication of rules which can change as one crosses the state/county/city line.

We have local "bye-laws" in England which are mostly things of a trivial nature that hardly anybody takes seriously, except the local government. Wiring never seemed to fall into their scope, but plumbing did in some places.

Those large (often 50 gal.) water tanks in the attics of British homes are common all over the country, but were not used universally.

I'm not sure about these days, but I know that years ago the water bye-laws in London required such tanks, and specified that only the kitchen sink (and possibly an outdoor faucet) could be fed directly from the incoming mains. Baths, lavatory basins, and WC cisterns were all required to come off the cistern in the attic.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#153737 11/10/03 08:08 PM
T
Now that you mention tanks...

I once worked in a building that had been condemned by the city. The city then took over the building and used it for offices.

Our sink water was always a brownish color, as it apparently was supplied by some tank on the roof. The water in the toilet was always steaming hot, as apparently somebody hooked up the toilet to the hot water.

Our supervisor had to write all kinds of memoranda just to get us bottled drinking water!

#153738 11/23/03 10:40 PM
R
Paul, here are the drain, waste and vent isometric drawings I promised. Sorry about the delay!

These are taken from the 2003 International Residential Code, first edition.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#153739 11/26/03 06:59 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Many thanks Ryan. I'll print these out and study them.

#153740 11/27/03 02:07 PM
T
There is very little venting employed in the average home drainage system here. The single-stack system just takes the main stack up to vent above roof level, and the individual drain lines just connect straight into it with no separate vent pipes from behind the the traps.

Same here in Austria and Germany. Old systems would sometimes vent into the gutters, combining 2 functions - the pipe has a vent and the rain from the roof goes down into the sewer. Don't know whether that system's still used.

#153741 11/29/03 01:52 AM
M
The really intresting thing is that in the county that I live in here in Kansas they use the international code, but the county doesnt require an inspection, just a permit for building. The next county over uses the universal code and requires inspection, plan and permit.

#153742 01/18/04 02:39 PM
J
For general overview of US plbg. codes, visit codecheck.com.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard