ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 89 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Trumpy Offline OP
Flick forward 10 years,
To 1987, what were you doing then?.
I was nearing the end of Secondary School, but at that stage I was well into building electronics projects.
I was getting into computers with the release of the BBC2 computer and us guys at school were working on projects to use with the "Beeb".
School Certificate exams the year after and I elected to do 6 subjects in that (5 subjects was the norm).
I came out OK, with good passes in Maths,English, Economic Studies, Metal-work,Wood-work and Science (I had one of the highest pass marks in NZ for Science- 99% [Linked Image]).
Your story?. [Linked Image]

{good thing we never used a keyboard in the English exam!}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 03-24-2006).]

R
Late 1987 my brother and I were preparing for our emigration to New Zealand in February 1988.
I still did refrigiration and lighting in a big warehouse at that time and some domestic wiring jobs locally, nothing to be to exited about, hence the big shift "down under" which I really enjoy.
The hardest part was packing all my electrical gear and the decisions what to keep and what to part off.
The local technical college in Assen was overwhelmed with my donations.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
F
March 1977,
Sorry, can't remember much about it, but I think I was having the best time of my life. I was somewhat dazed and confused, but I remember that I hated disco.

D
I was 9 years old. Probably watching "Space 1999" and spider man.

G
Trumpy,
Ya gotta quit these walks down memory lane, it's killing me!!

1987 - I had been in business for 5 years, it was the beginning of the recession around here, but I still had about 25 - 30 guys working for me, we were doing a lot of commercial and mall type work. It would be another 3 years before the recession would get to me at all and 5 before I said there must be a better way (people were taking jobs at my cost or below for 2-3 years).

Friends of mine were already having extreme problems, mostly from injudicious use of credit, but none the less it was the beginning. Times had been good for awhile in 87, so fond memories of the year.

Course, being 7 in the 1977 answer, that would have made me 17 in the 87 answer....that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. [Linked Image]

I'd been teaching for the Virginia Apprenticeship Council for 3 years, good thing they didn't mind the teacher being so young!! [Linked Image]

Nope, good memories of 1987, but lotsa hard times and changes ahead in retrospect.

Lemme see, I was 17 in 87, so by 91 I would have been old enough to legally drink....AND SHOULD HAVE!

Broom Pusher and
For me...

March, 1977, I was 13 and in 7th Grade.
If not in School, or creating some Prankster-Related mischief [Linked Image]
then look for me either tweeking the HO Scale Model Railroad layout, or out in the field working with my Father doing Electrical work, earning $$$ to dump into the previously mentioned Model Railroad layout (henseforth to be known as "The Currency Black Hole" - as $$$ went in, but never seen again!).

I think this was right around the time we "discovered" Railroad Torpedoes - and just how much fun they could be (read "extremely loud ways to annoy people").
Seems like the time frame, because in April 1977, we bought a Case of Thunderbomb Firecrackers - which is 12 Bricks of the standard 1-3/8" sized - 16 per pack, 80 packs per brick toys.
We had a huge supply of Torpedoes when the Case O' Firecrackers arrived.

As for March 1987, I was either Working in the field or playing in a Band (or playing my drums anywhere possible!)

My 1976 Firebird decided that it was a good
time for a new Rear End/Differential, in February of 1987, and let me know of this via a "Subtile Request".

It's subtile request came in the form of a broken spider gear on the drivers' side - with the corresponding "Wandering Wheel and Axle" which soon followed (loss of the spider gear allowed the axle to easilly roll out of the rear end assembly)

I remember seeing the wheel take off running towards the middle of the street, then a sudden loss of altitude on the rear drivers' side - and the resulting Road-Meets-Vehicle Frame/Body which soon followed!

Totally thrashed the corner panel, and scared the !@&*%$ out of me!!!

As for March, 1997, I was either designing / engineering some bank branch, or doing field work on a bank branch.

Scott35

edited for spelling of "Currency" [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Scott35 (edited 04-13-2006).]

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
R
Hey Scott!
A 76 Firebird eh!
Man you made me think back a bit, my pops had a ' 76 Jeep Cherokee "S", complete with the " 360", holley 4-bbl ( I think) and the " Quadra Trac" 4-wheel drive system... They don't build them like they used to eh!
Its a shame though, that thing was a TANK, but it finally got what body panels that did not rust off of it, taken off and used basically as a utility vehicle on some mushroom farm around here, back around 1990...

A.D

Broom Pusher and
Hola Rewired,

My Firebird had a 400 InĀ³ Small Block Chevy (largest CID for small block chevy), with a 4 BBL Intake Manifold + Holly Carb sitting on top.
Standard Delco H.E.I. (High Energy Ignition), and a slightly tweeked Cam (not high lift + long duration).

After blowing out the original "254" Rear End, it got replaced with a nice solid "310" Rear End (310 or 312 I think??? been a long time...). Not so much high end area as the original 254's "Highway Gearing", but much better low end! Was a total dog off the line with the 254 gearing.

My Ex-Wife (somehow... [Linked Image] ...) ended up with the Car, and soon after She took posession it was sold.

Ahhh, those were the days.

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
G
Whoa!!! No one said we were going down VEHICLE memory lane!!

Rewired: When I was in business, I went to a GSA auction (gummint for those across the pond) and bought a 1980 Jeep J-20. 360, 4 bubble, no quadra trak here though, lemme see, get out, turn the hubs, get back in, yank hard on the lever to get in 4 high or low. Nearly the most unstoppable vehicle I've ever owned, still got pics around here somewhere.

After I shut the business down, I took to driving that evil road wagon, and I gotta say I loved it. Sold it in '02 when I took possession of my brothers 97 Dodge/Cummins but it's still running and doing well.

Ahhh the memories.....and damaged kidneys! [Linked Image]

R
Hey George!
Gotta do what has to be done..
Yep the memory lane of automobiles...
Before my time, my parents had a late 60's Ford Fairlane 500 ( exact year I don't know as of this time...)
I do know it had a 390 under the hood, a " select shift" and posi-trac..... My mother apparently used to leave 20' strips of burnt rubber everywhere... My grandfather somehow totaled the car I don't know how..
I can still remember when I was a kid , growing up on this very same small dead end street, the smallest car was a Ford Pinto... Everyone had big Ford LTD station wagons ( with the fake wood veneer on the side), Plymouth valiants ( complete with either the "leaning tower of power inline 6" or the trusty 318) , heck there was even an Oldsmobile " Delta 88 Royale" and a Ford Monarch to name a few....

Ahh well enough of my rambling.. Time for me to go to the gas station with my " Cowboy Cadilac" and a wad of money.. [Linked Image]

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard