ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 560 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
John,
It was explained to me that this was to prevent a departing employee from removing the lock, and leaving an unsafe condition for the next shift.
Actually you are required by OSHA to do exactly that. You are required to remove your lock at the end of the shift. The rule does not permit you to leave your lock in place if you are not working on the equipment.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
S
John
I've broken just about every rule there is.

Fear and common sense regulate my life.

Rob

resqcapt19 posted:

Actually you are required by OSHA to do exactly that. You are required to remove your lock at the end of the shift. The rule does not permit you to leave your lock in place if you are not working on the equipment.

O.K., but what about instances where the equipment being worked on MUST stay de-energized because work is not yet completed? So OSHA, in their infinite wisdom says ya gotta take your lock off when you leave?!? It does indeed leave an unsafe condition!! To h**l with OSHA, if the damn thing isn't ready to be energized, my lock stays on for however long it has to!!

Another example of agency mentality!!

A stupid rule I will break every time! If the equipment isn't safe to turn on, my lock stays and contact me if they need to know why.

{Ok, now that I'm done ranting I feel better. [Linked Image] }

I need some green tea.....Earl Grey perhaps.

Stupid should be painful.
G
I see Joe finally took my advice, Trumpy.

For YEARS I've been telling him if you stand on TOP of the ladder, the safety guy cannot see the sticker, hence, no violation.

[Linked Image]

Dammit Trumpy, that's not me, I wouldn't do that ... jumping to conclusions again!!

This image was posted a while back here in another thread ..

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
H
I don't post often, as I'm no electrician. Just a lowly safety guy who steals info (OK, borrows it) from here. However, I need to say, OSHA doesn't say you may not leave your lock on at the end of the shift.

What the LOTO standard says is that I may not leave MY lock on if someone is to continue working on the de-energized equipment. Mine must be removed and the next shift guy or gal must replace it with their own.

If NO one will continue working on it, and I'll just come back in the next day (or whenever) and continue the project, my lock may stay in place...for what it's worth.

Cat Servant
I see that we can have quite a LOTO talk here....guys, would you please give me a day or two- I promise to open a thread, and have some |source info" posted with it?
Thanks

G
LOTO is fine as long as you have a small number of workers who are sure where they are going tomorrow but it was far from a sure system when IBM tried it. If the guys who LOed the equipment were there until it was restored to a safe condition and they could take their lock it was fine. You could even turn over a problem and swap locks fairly easily. The problem was who's lock do you leave on if the equipment is still in an unsafe condition and everyone goes home. If you guess wrong and the guy who's lock is attached ends up going somewhere else in the morning his lock might fall to the bolt cutter when they get things going. He also doesn't have a lock. They decided there would be a "facility lock" for these things but then they had a question of who holds that key, tag etc. It defeated the spirit of one man, one lock.

I will fight for a "within sight" disconnect every time.

Greg Fretwell
Search at www.osha.gov

29 CFR ยง 1910.147 The control of hazardous energy (lockout/tagout)
http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=9804

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
What's all this?.
Dammit Trumpy, that's not me, I wouldn't do that ... jumping to conclusions again!!

Oh well, I'm over it.
You can only guess, with the amount of information supplied.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 07-15-2005).]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard