ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 529 guests, and 26 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
pauluk Offline OP
Good point - I should have thought of that.

Personally, I'd be quite happy to see TT removed from BS7671 entirely for new installations. So far as I'm aware, every LV distribution network in the country now offers PME supply connections, so there's no reason why all new services could not be TN-C-S now.

It is now permitted to protect cables concealed in a wall or partition by a 30 mA RCD if the normal methods of protection including use of cables with an earthed metallic covering, mechanical protection or the use of the safe zones cannot be employed.

This is just so wrong on so many levels.
So basically, what the powers that be are saying is, it doesn't really matter how you go about installing your wiring, be as messy as you like, it's OK, it's got an RCD on it.
Now you guys know what my opinion of RCD's is and I think that a clause like this in any set of Regulations, is just pure laziness.
As you mentioned Paul, RCD protection is supplementary protection, depending on an RCD to iron out all the kinks in your poor installation is avoiding the real issues.
Finally, ever seen an RCD unit that had the mechanism freeze closed on it?, I've got one on my bench at work, it nearly killed a guy who was using an electric lawnmower.
I've yet to open it up and see what's wrong with it, it's 5 years old.
But then again, who ever tests these things months after they're installed?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard