Notes on planned changes for the 17th edition of the IEE Wiring Regs., due to be issued January 2008 and come into effect June 2008:
http://www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs/DPC/DPC_Introduction.pdf

One of the main changes seems to be for the much greater use of RCDs than at present:

Chapter 41 now requires {.....} additional protection by means of a residual current device with a rated residual operating current (IΔn) not exceeding 30 mA {.....} for socket-outlets with a rated current not exceeding 20 A that are for use by ordinary persons and are intended for general use

There are a few exceptions, but this effectively means that all 13A outlets for general-purpose use will require RCD protection, not just those likely to be be used for equipment outdoors as it presently the case.

I'm not happy about this change:
It is now permitted to protect cables concealed in a wall or partition by a 30 mA RCD if the normal methods of protection including use of cables with an earthed metallic covering, mechanical protection or the use of the safe zones cannot be employed.
It seems to me that the RCD is being used as the answer to just about everything, including the poor installation/protection of cables which leads to their damage.

In my book, the RCD should be viewed as an extra safeguard, not the primary means of protection. [Linked Image]

Bathrooms are in for a few changes:

Zone 3 is no longer defined.

Each circuit in the special location must have 30 mA RCD protection.

Supplementary bonding is no longer required providing the installation has main bonding in accordance with Chapter 41.

I'm not sure that forcing the bathroom lighting onto an RCD-protected circuit is necessarily a good move, certainly not where the RCD tripping would take out all the other nearby lights too. That's no worse than existing TT installations where a single RCD feeds the whole house, but I'm still not convinced it's necessary.

The removal of supplementary bonding requirements seems to be raising a few eyebrows already. I noticed a couple of people on the IEE forum asking how they can now justify failing a PIR for no supplementary bonding given that it may soon not be a requirement. Someone even jokingly suggested a "Code 5" PIR report: "Does not comply at present, but will in a future revision." [Linked Image]

Still in bathrooms:

This section now allows socket-outlets (other than SELV and shaver supply units to BS EN 60742) to be installed in locations containing a bath or shower 3m horizontally beyond the boundary of zone 1.

At last! Given the size of many British bathrooms though, it will be impossible to get outside the specified distance, so it will still be "no sockets" for many.

And finally for this post, a point which probably will not be of such impact for many but is of particular interest in a coastal holiday area such as this:
Electrical installations in caravan/camping parks and similar locations now includes the requirement that each socket-outlet must be provided individually with overcurrent and RCD protection.
Looks like there will be a big demand for 16A RCBOs in 2008!

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 11-21-2006).]