ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 171 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
pauluk Offline OP
That's the way the system works now, and there is no way (I believe) that HSE will make the specific recommendation you hoped for, as that could then be used in law to absolve you of the reponsibility of that judgement.

In other words, we're the government department which supposedly enforces health & safety regulations, just don't ask us to actually state whether we think something is acceptable or not? [Linked Image]

This whole question would not have even entered my mind had somebody else not mentioned the possibility to me, as I'm only rarely involved with commercial establishments.

My personal "risk assessment" of the location is that diffusers or guards would be totally unnecessary on the grounds of safety. The tubes are clearly visible, there's nothing much up high in the public area of the store which might hit them anyway, and if somebody does smash one somehow, he should have been more careful! There's also unlikely to be much harm done beyond a little sweeping up and the cost of a new tube.

It turned out that in this case, the whole fitting instead of being secured to the concrete ceiling had merely been ‘attached’ using self-tapping screws to the two M5 brass, threaded sockets in the plastic ceiling box

Judging by the rest of the installation (it's for the store in this thread ) I have a horrible feeling some of the existing lights are quite probably fixed by similar inadequate methods. (Self tappers into plasterboard?)

I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of them fall down as soon as I touch them..... [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 11-12-2006).]

The HSE do not hold information in relation to fluorescent lighting and the requirements to be fitted with either diffusers or other guards to protect the tubes.
OK, if the HSE in the UK don't hold this info, who does?.
I was under the impression that that was thier job.
At a recent refresher course, we were told that fluorescent tubes are a real risk to our health, not because of cuts, but because of what is inside the tubes.
Inhale the phosphorus powder and it can really screw your lungs up.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard