ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by emolatur - 05/18/24 06:12 PM
Electricians revenge
by gfretwell - 05/09/24 08:24 PM
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 46 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#1451 05/12/01 12:23 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
There's really no need to throw a bunch of tech info at persons unfamiliar to the whole thing
I agree, although it wouldn't hurt to educat them a little bit by exposing them to a few salient details.

I didn't say that the 240 VAC conductors are 180 degrees out of phase, I just just said out of phase so that the reader would know that they were both 120 V but there was some good reason why together they make 240 V.

Keep it simple on that part so the people can understand
Right.

I had a problem with "You may wonder why both the safety ground wire and neutral are needed since both ultimately connect to the same ground rod."

I changed ground rod to utility neutral since that is the key connection to complete the circuit.

#1452 05/12/01 12:32 AM
Burn Baby Burn!!!

Man, this is supposed to be fun Dude...

Look, your blood pressure is rising.

So you're telling me that when you hook 240V up to an oscilloscope that you will see two independent sine waves 180 degrees apart, or will it look just like a 120V sine wave with twice the amplitude?

It's not like one is +120 V and the other -120 V.
Precisely...that would be 180 degrees out of phase and produce 0 volts.

Got to admit you have something there with the 6 and 9 phase thing, although lag was mentioned to be more of a factor there.

Waves 180 degrees apart will cancel each other out assuming everything else is equal. Please do not attempt to change the laws of physics to support your arguments.

Thank you.

BTW, if you had been as observant as you think you are being, you would have noticed that my post explaining 120/240V systems was cut and pasted from another post. Pardon me for not editing out anything redundant.

Once again, thank you.

Oh yes, and I've learned that it is better to let people think you're dumber than you really are rather than the other way around.

Just a thought...

Oh yes, and if I had failed to mention the "natural grey" part, you seem like the type that would have jumped all over that too.

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 05-12-2001).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#1453 05/12/01 01:40 AM
Steve T was the one who said
180 degress out of phase
. I was speaking to him as well.

Anything but single phase will require a variable equal to the square root of the number of phases multiplied by the line to ground voltage to achieve the line to line voltages.

Square root of three = 1.73... 120 x 1.73... = 208

Square root of two = 1.41... 120 x 1.41... = 169.7... not 240. So to acheive 120V to neutral on a 2 phase system would require 169.7 Volts line to line.

Please explain how your description fits into this picture. It wouldn't be the first time that I was missing something, and I'll freely admit to being wrong if you are able to convince me as such.

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#1454 05/12/01 11:08 AM
May I suggest that We are now unneccesarily overcomplicating this discussion that Klim had initiated.

Can any disputes over technical details please be taken to the 'Theory' area? And, please try to keep the flames low, The smoke detectors will start going off soon!!

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 05-12-2001).]

Bill
#1455 05/12/01 02:26 PM
Sorry... Yes I am the King of Digress!

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#1456 05/14/01 10:48 AM
K
klim Offline OP
Thanks, everyone, for your replies. I do mention in the electrical section of the book, as Steve T. suggested, that this is not an electrical training maual and anyone who is not qualified should seek the skills of a professional electrician.

Sparky, I can't imagine posting 9,000 pages and trying to sort through all the answers and ensuing discussions! I just need one electrician to check the manuscript.

I'd like to keep the book reader-friendly and give readers a basic idea of how electricity works in their barn, and not scare people off with too many technical details.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard