ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 113 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#142643 07/14/05 07:02 AM
I
"I was actually thinking more along the lines of NEMA 10-50"
Actually the 10-50 is comparativly huge. However the 10-20 is quite close. The one that you post in the link I think was later reclassified as the 10-20

#142644 07/15/05 12:15 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
{Just to throw a little thread-jack in here}
Aussie,
Is that your own website?.
I'm sure that Paul would get a kick out of that car and a few other of the things on your site!.
Good one!. [Linked Image]
kiwi,
BTW. PaulUK, your Lions Should be arriving home any minute with their tails between their legs. And Aussie 240, the All Blacks will be arriving on your door-step soon. Good Luck !
Now let's not get too silly here, mate.
Don't you go jinxin' the AB's!. [Linked Image]

#142645 07/15/05 01:51 AM
A
Trumpy, Yes that's my website [Linked Image] I'd hate to think how many hours I've put into it...and it's never finished.

BTW, what's the go with posting pics here from a local file? Is that only a moderator/administrator privilege? I'm dying to put up some pics of the polarity reversing double adaptors (along with 101 other things!), but can only see how to do that from another URL.

#142646 07/15/05 08:11 AM
P
I was actually thinking more along the lines of NEMA 10-50.

As Ian said, the 10-50 is a huge connector. Its typical use in residential work is to connect an electric range, with the 10-30 being used for a clothes dryer. (The 14-xx equivalents are required on new installs now, and can also be found on older circuits which run from a sub-panel -- American grounding arrangements differ somewhat from Brit/Aussie/Kiwi/European practice).

Yes that's my website

You have some good old stuff on there! [Linked Image]

If you look back through the archives you'll find one or two threads here relating to old radios and similar gear.

what's the go with posting pics here from a local file? Is that only a moderator/administrator privilege?

Yep, only mods. can upload to the ECN server I'm afraid. If you e-mail any images to one of us, we can upload them and provide you with the URLs so that you can link them into your post.

BTW. PaulUK, your Lions Should be arriving home any minute with their tails between their legs.

Oh.... The team was over there then? You can tell I'm not the slightest bit interested in sport, can't you? [Linked Image]

#142647 07/16/05 03:08 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Aussie,
No I think it might have been 32VAC I got confused with.
The 3rd pic of the post by Bill, was in fact used by light Industrial Spot Welders here.
The pin configuration was meant to ensure that no other equipment could be plugged into that socket.
It is indeed correct there was no official standard as to the live/neutral connections certainly up to the 1950's. This is why on old bakelite plugs you'll see only the "E" designation and not "L" (or "A") and "N".
At that stage, the only people allowed to install this sort of gear would have been Registered Electricians and thier Apprentices, under instruction, mind you, any worker like this would have been able to work that out for themselves, with a simple Bell test.
It is also interesting to note that up until the late 50's it wasn't required to earth domestic GPO's if there was no other earthed fittings in the same room. For example, in a bedroom it was not considered necessary to run an earth wire to the GPO, whereas in a kitchen it was required. I was quite suprised the first time I'd seen it for real but I can see that you could have gotten away with it.
I'm not actually aware of a rule like that over here, from the Regs that I have, you were required to Earth everything.
those cord-line switches in your picture are terrible. They fail the moment you insert a 100w light bulb in the table lamp instead of a 60w. I've never checked but I cant believe they are rated at 10A.
Kiwi, no they aren't as far as I'm aware.
I heard figures of 100 or 300W but there is no way that they would carry 2300W.
Proof of the pudding is when you try and switch an inductive load with them, say a twin lamp with Compact Fluorescent lamps in it.
I've never liked cord-line switches or dimmers, they are in my opinion just a stop-gap solution.
[quote]After all, the minimum size of cable allowed to feed a 10A outlet is 1.5mm which is rated at 16A. This is still a requirement isn't it ?{/quote]
Just because it's a minimum size, there is no stipulation to use it.
I'd never use 1.5mm to feed Socket-Outlets, no matter how small the house was.
Under my training you always used 2.5mm and protected it accordingly.
1.5mm was for lighting circuits.

#142648 07/16/05 06:04 AM
K
I think most NZ sparkies would agree with you Trumpy when you say that 1.5mm multi-strand should be the minimum for lighting. The 1.0mm solid single-strand cable still available here is very unpopular. Australia and the larger pacific nations have dropped it. Why are we still using it?

#142649 07/16/05 08:04 AM
P
We're in a similar position here in still using 1 sq. mm for lighting circuits. As far as I'm aware, the wiring rules in most European countries specify 1.5 as the minimum size.

#142650 07/16/05 08:11 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
kiwi,
Why are we still using it?
Mainly because 1mm2 is cheap, the number of houses I've seen wired with it would explain it's popularity or the cut-throat nature of the NZ Electrical Contracting market.
I've seen Inspectors here, refuse to connect houses with 1mm2 feeding the lights.
It doesn't go down well. [Linked Image]

#142651 07/16/05 08:41 AM
P
Thanks to John (aussie240) for the following:

The first pic is a collection of double adaptors which reverse the polarity of the L&N connections. In the second pic you can see why this happens.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thirdly, we have the inside of an old bakelite plug with L&N not marked; only the earth is:

[Linked Image]

In the 4th photo is a later plug (1960's) which does have the polarity markings:

[Linked Image]

#142652 07/16/05 08:42 AM
P
Next is a pic of a locally made Clipsal double for the US two flat pin pattern. I've got two of these so there must have been quite a few produced. My guess is for the few places still using that style of socket wired in the 20's:

[Linked Image]

In my computer room is the original power point in my house. It's a good illustration why mains polarity was not standardised with separate switch and socket. After all we are dealing with non polarised AC, so as long as it's the Live that's switched the socket wiring shouldn't matter in theory. (This one is correctly wired).

[Linked Image]

As a further example of surface mounted fittings are the switches in my hall. The mounting blocks are typically made out of pine. This style of fitting went out of favour by the late 50's, though they have come back into fashion for period home renovations.

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 07-16-2005).]

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard