ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 506 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#141862 11/08/04 07:15 PM
J
Also, I think the recessed aspect of it gives Shucko 16A plugs and sockets a useful degree of splash-resistance. It might make a good difference in a garden. My "outdoor" appliances and extension leads are all fitted with the moulded plugs. There are more 2-pin europlug appliances in the bathroom and kitchen, so they are less well protected, though those have the shielded pins in any case, so incursion of moisture ought not to give shocks.

I think the marque is 'duraplug' of a similar kind for BS1363/A, where there is a recessed socket and matching moulded fused plug. The English friends of mine that visited had them for their old VW hippyvan, to run the fridge, microwave, radio and a lamp, in a couple of 20m lengths. I remember a lash-up from my top window to the flex wound round the wing mirror bracket, which was dodgy, but it worked for the night :-o

With UK extension leads, why is it necessary to fuse both the plug and also the extension socket?

About plug derating: in the kitchen, there's a 3500w salamander and it plugs into an ordinary socket. It is used for a couple of hours per day, and that plug stays perfectly cold. In the laundry room, the plug that originally used to be moulded onto the flex of the washer (about 3.0kw) used to be scorching hot, until I cut it off and wired on a proper plug, and now, that's a chilled plug too :-) And I am still not satisfied with the use of such a thin flex for that washer -- during a long washing cycle, it gets far too warm for my liking. But the plugs and sockets themselves I reckon are easily good for 16A over a long duration.

#141863 11/09/04 08:27 AM
D
djk Offline
With UK extension leads/cords only the plug is normally fused (and not necessarily at 13A... it could be a lower rated fuse)

However, that being said quite a large number of multisocket power strips also have a fuse covering the entire strip.

I've even seen a power strip with a fuse & switch on each outlet!! as well as a 13A fuse in the plug!

So.. if used in Ireland:

RCD+20A breaker > 13A plug fuse > 13A socket fuse > 3A to 13A plug fuse.

Some office wiring systems also use individually fused sockets. Often at <13A ... they are mainly used for IT equipment.

Also, rather odd one:
A double-adaptor doesn't have to carry a fuse!
But a triple adaptor does...

So with a double adaptor you could potentially load a BS1363 socket with 26Amps!!

I think all multi-outlet adaptors and powerstrips, regardless of plug type, should carry fuse / some kind of over current protection.

I noticed in the USA the more expensive brands of power strip have a 15A breaker that doubles as a switch.

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 11-09-2004).]

#141864 11/09/04 10:13 AM
RCD+20A breaker > 13A plug fuse > 13A socket fuse > 3A to 13A plug fuse.
I take it that that is a single-line Discrimination line of the the protection used.
Personally I would like to see the 3A fuse in the plug blow first, if the appliance doesn't already have one.

{By the way, this will be my last post at ECN, thanks for your time guys!} [Linked Image]

#141865 11/09/04 11:13 AM
D
djk Offline
Trumpy,

How come it's your last post?

And, re the fuses.. it's not my experience..

Usually the 20A breaker goes (or the RCD) first..

Those BS fuses don't react quite as quickly as modern breakers.

#141866 11/09/04 04:24 PM
S
{By the way, this will be my last post at ECN, thanks for your time guys!}

Good luck. I hope you come back soon!

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 11-09-2004).]

#141867 11/10/04 07:08 AM
P
A double-adaptor doesn't have to carry a fuse! But a triple adaptor does...

So with a double adaptor you could potentially load a BS1363 socket with 26Amps!!
There are quite a few such anomolies in British wiring. A spur off a ring may be wired with 2.5 sq. mm cable and feed a double socket. However unlikely, it is possible to plug two 3kW loads into that outlet and overload the spur cable. Under older editions of the IEE Regs. a spur could actually feed two outlets in different places, increasing the likelihood of this happening.

I think the marque is 'duraplug' of a similar kind for BS1363/A, where there is a recessed socket and matching moulded fused plug.
Yes, Duraplug is the name of a whole range of rugged connectors from MK Electric (one of Britain's top electrical accessory manufacturers for decades). Are these the couplers you have in mind?

[Linked Image from mkelectric.co.uk]

Full range of Duraplug devices here

About plug derating: in the kitchen, there's a 3500w salamander and it plugs into an ordinary socket.
What on earth is a salamander? [Linked Image]

(I have a cartoon-like image of a reptile basking under 3500W of heat lamps in my mind now! [Linked Image])

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 11-10-2004).]

#141868 11/10/04 08:10 AM
J
Yes, those are the exact connectors. That one is very similar to the normal trailing socket on a standard French or Belgian extension cable , with the lip around the outlet to stop moisture getting in.

A salamander I believe is the term in English for a heavy-duty type of grill, where the food is placed on a wire rack and is heated by IR reflected from the elements both above and below. The elements in ours are the silica glass-encased type which reach operating temperature very quickly. They are also available fired by gas. You can find pictures of them on the websites of catering suppliers, such as
http://www.ceonline.co.uk/itemdisplay.php3/itemid/472

although that one is "only" 3kw [Linked Image] The very good commercial gas ones deliver the heat eqivalence of about 6kw.

It is a curious name, probably back to the legend that salamanders are supposed to be able to live inside a burning fire or some stuff like that. Nonsense really.

#141869 11/10/04 09:02 AM
P
Well I never heard of these grills being called salamanders before. I guess we learn something every day! Thanks. [Linked Image]

#141870 11/10/04 05:11 PM
D
djk Offline
You come across schuko couplers that are very similar to the above BS1363 one used to hook up garden equipment and stuff over here in Ireland.

i.e. a short cable with a moulded Contour plug on the end of a strimmer, plugs into a recessed schuko coupler like that ... the other end of the cable would have a normal BS1363 plug.

#141871 11/14/04 06:20 AM
T
All IP44 Schuko plugs look like that. The better ones are almost impossible to break, even during rough work site use. Real heavy duty extension cords use either yellow or black rubber flex, heavy stuff. With a three-way trailing socket you could easily kill somebody...
Once had a cheap plug of that kind though, and suddenly one of the pins disappeared into the casing upon plugging it in... dumped it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard