ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 559 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#1231 05/03/01 02:18 AM
S
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sparky66wv:
Lighting I use a J box or two in the attic. The HR is to the J Box, and the Feeders "spider" out to each Sw box. The only thing in the Sw boxes are the feeder and the switched leg, or just a switch loop.

Sparky, I use nail on rounds when I can, It saves labor, and I will almost always have the homerun or the feed at the switch box. For two reasons, one is so that I have a neutral in the switch box in case I have to add something in the future, and two if God forbid there's a problem in the circuit, I can open the switch box find the feed and troubleshoot from there. I won't have to stand on a ladder and drop a keyless or fixture to find the feed.

Just my two cents

#1232 05/03/01 09:27 AM
I use round nail-ons too...that's not what I mean... Allow me to better explain myself...

switched leg: A complete circuit on the load side of a switch. (Complete with unswitched neutral.

switch loop: Hot on white (taped purple for me), switched on black.

Sometimes these definitions are interchanged, but this is the correct terminology.

What I mean is, split the jumpers up in a Junction box so you don't have but one hot leg per switch box. One line, however many loads as needed. Better than "daisy-chaining" and having crowded boxes. Then if you have to add lights later, there's a J box just waiting for an additional tap...

If this doesn't make sense, then I'm not explaining myself right...

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 05-03-2001).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#1233 05/03/01 10:10 AM
S
I usually run each room as a circuit. I also run the lights on a separate circuit combining several rooms on one,to avoid as someone said to prevent being in the dark when a breaker trips because the vacuum tried to eat a throw rug. I also like the idea if I am doing service work for the customer later I know I won't have to get a crick in the neck, replacing a receptacle while holding the flashlight between my neck and shoulder. Plus the customers seem to like the idea.

#1234 05/03/01 05:19 PM
spkjpr,

You gotta get one of those miner helmets. [Linked Image]

'66.

I haven't seen any 14 ga wiring corroding away like you say. What do you think is the cause of this?

I mostly would notice the switches' screws coming loose, especially the ground screw.

I wouldn't use jbox in the attic as many like to put a floor down up there. I would do that in commercial though above drop ceiling it makes system very flexible.

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
#1235 05/03/01 09:06 PM
I guess WVians don't have tall attics.
You wouldn't want a room in any of the ones I've wired, unless you're only 2 feet tall.

In tightening screws, I'm old school and I don't like phillips heads on terminal screws, they tend to strip before they're torqued properly.
You get many times more torque on a sharp, properly sized flat head screwdriver. As far as I know, I've never had a terminal back out.

Maybe the widespread use of coal to heat in this area in the past has helped to create the corrosive environment that has caused what I've noticed in older homes (say, 50 to 75 year old wiring...)The corosion eats its way through at the terminals, and the #12 has more "meat" to back up the ampacity...

These are entirely my own observations, and all disclaimers apply!

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#1236 05/03/01 09:13 PM
'66,

About the Attics I mean they put down flooring and use it for storage. Although some Attics I work it I can't touch the peak on my toes!

Bill

Bill
#1237 05/03/01 09:39 PM
Must be a Yankee thing...

I've built one house that way and they were originally from NJ!
Finished attic (first I've ever seen one...) not quite finished enough to be a room, but finished nonetheless. I still managed to find an open wall to put J boxes on. Good thing too, because they needed to add a small attic fan, of which I had not prepared!

I've fit through 14.5" x 8" spaces with roofing nails protruding so most any place is accessible to me if it is open at all. Proved that one in a ceiling fan install in a room that the lady had denied my suggestion to rough in for one when it would have been easy to do so.
When the carpenter removed the drywall in the laundry closet to install a hatch, he said I'd never fit. I'm 6'1" and 140 lbs., so needless to say, I have a high aspect ratio. Quite limber too... No J boxes were involved in that one though...

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#1238 05/04/01 02:32 AM
S
I have wired houses here in NY that you could play soccer in the attic I've had to use ladders to reach the collar beams, I have also been in attics tat I've had to crawl on my belly to get to the air handler.

Sparky when you say j box what do you mean? To me a j box is a box the has an L bracket so that you can nail it to the front of a stud. If that is what you mean is that trade practice where you are? I use them when I have to get a box between two studs that are close together, and on concrete walls that only have a furring strip on the face of the stud. I have also found them handy on metal studs.

#1239 05/04/01 09:46 AM
Junction Box...any 4"x 4"x 2-1/8" Box will do. Sometimes a 4-11/16" Square by 2-1/8" Deep is used.

Pardon my unorthodox terminology.

Couldn't get the boxes you describe here. Didn't know they existed other than ads in ECM (Electrical Contractor Magazine). Doesn't seem like they'd hold too many conductors legally...

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 05-04-2001).]

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#1240 05/05/01 09:45 PM
S
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sparky66wv:
[B]Junction Box...any 4"x 4"x 2-1/8" Box will do. Sometimes a 4-11/16" Square by 2-1/8" Deep is used.

We call these 1900 boxes or deep 1900, the larger box we refer to as a 4-11 box.

Pardon my unorthodox terminology.

No need to apologize we all use different nomenclature even some of my apprentices right out of school refer to material with terms that I don't recognize with 15 years in the trade.

http://www.carlon.com/electrical/zipboxblue.shtml

Follow this link for some good pictures of boxes, the box I referred to is called bracketed by Carlon, there is a 2 gang version in the picture. but I ususally prefer a nail on for 2 gang.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard