ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 516 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
I
Scott without saying any names we have had no end of trouble with the newer style contactors in the left hand cabinet.

We have had to have company reps come out to new jobs to try to track down the source of the problem.

Call me old fashion but I like NEMA stuff over IEC stuff, unless I have very little space to fit the equipment in. [Linked Image]

I do believe we installed an electronics package like the one on the right in a parking garage it worked great until getting water logged, hardly a problem with the design more of a bad installation. [Linked Image]

Do you design the equipment to fail "on" that is something I always try to do for lighting loads, and the super markets actually have the refrigeration fail "on", you can always open doors if things get too cold.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Scott35 Online Happy OP
Broom Pusher and
Hey, I remember this thread!
It's an old one!!! [Linked Image]

Would like to discuss this stuff in more detail, so will create a new thread in the Electrical Theory section later this week.

Bob,

EMS is just one of the terms "Thrown Around" out here.
EMS being "Energy Management System".
The other terms are:

• EMC: Energy Management Controller,
  • BAS: Building Automation System,
  • BAC: Building Automation Controller,
  • BMC: Building Management Controller.

Very interesting Animals, they are!
Definitely worth duscussion here!

Also, per CEC Title 24, Part6, they are of assistance for credits, and at times are mandatory.
Devices used are to be "Listed" as Recognized by the Commission.

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Bob, I've only had to replace 1 base and 1 contact block that I remember with the contactors (I already mentioned the manufacturer's name). These aren't lightly loaded, either. The circuits in this particular photo are mostly site lighting, 30Amp 480V circs.

An added benefit to the "newfangled" units are the fact that bypasses can be accomplished by a button, or as mentioned before, a phone call.
An old "Catch 22" was the CA required zonal bypass timers. We used the spring wound "twist" type timer switches. Because of the twisting motion required, they didn't meet ADA requirements. [Linked Image] We were stuck between a rock and a hard spot...S

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard