ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 512 guests, and 32 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I
quote:
-------------
They have a different standard for neat and workman like on the other side of the "pond", eh.
-------------

No need for comments like that MikeK3145.

quote:
-------------
...is there really as much outer sheath stripped back from the SWA as appears in the photo?
-------------

Yes it really has been stripped back that far.

quote:
-------------
Why the private meter?
-------------

Don't know. It used to be a pub/brewery owned by one person, but they have now spilt it into two.

The brewery is what you are looking at in the photos and the pub is on the second floor. However, the private meter is connected to the 3 phase supply for the brewery and the pub kitchen, and the other single phase sub-main feeds the pub distribution board. Makes my head hurt just thinking about it.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

For all things considered, I've seen worse temp wiring over here in the states before, although most of it didn't have 400V of potential. (Well, once I saw 12/3 NM-B being used in a dept store remodel to power 2X4 troughers, open splices everywhere.. I'd bet 480V was present there [Linked Image] )

Ianh, do you folks over there bond your neutral and your earth together in your main circuit board (like we do) or does the utility do it on their side? Just curious due to the open neutral issue...

Randy

Tangled up in all that almighty mess, notice the push-fit grey pvc mains-water pipes, [pic 2], in a jolly assortment of 15mm and 22mm OD, and all practically unsupported, [the token 'pipe supports' are electrical clips!]. These pipes will be on at least 50psi water pressure. Some water pipe is insulated with a foam jacket and some not (?), and one portion of insulation jacket is stripped off (pic 1), [probably got in the way of his needles as he was knitting the cuffs!!!]. My experience of these push-fit pvc plumbing fittings is they break without warning even when well supported, usually right under a bath at midnight. So, a plumbing nightmare as well, and even more fun and frolics to follow!
Why did the pub landlord allow the mess to get this far? It must have been patently obvious to even the most feeble minded that the so called 'contractor' was a berk long before things got this bad.

Alan

Wood work but can't!
M
Ian,

Sorry. That was meant to be humerous. Apparently I failed miserably.

P
pauluk Offline OP
I got the sarcasm Mike. [Linked Image]

[the token 'pipe supports' are electrical clips!].
I wouldn't be so sure Alan. Plumbing suppliers here are now selling pipe clips which are exactly the same design as the larger sizes of round cable clips. I'm still very much attached to traditional copper piping with soldered joints though.

do you folks over there bond your neutral and your earth together in your main circuit board (like we do) or does the utility do it on their side?

We always keep neutral and earth separate in the panel. The bond -- if present -- is made on the service ahead of the meter. It would be on the big black unit you can see at the bottom of pic #3. I say "if present" because we have multiple grounding arrangements in use and there is not always a neutral-ground bond on the premises.

I can't actually see an earth bond going into the service head. Ian, is this a TN-S system?

I
quote:
-------------
Why did the pub landlord allow the mess to get this far?
-------------

The building is being refurbished at the moment, even though it is still being used. The roof was recently replaced which was when the board filled up with dust and the RCDs seized up. The owner believed that this was acceptable as the works were ongoing.

quote:
-------------
do you folks over there bond your neutral and your earth together in your main circuit board (like we do) or does the utility do it on their side?
-------------

As Paul says, the neutral and earth are seperated in the boards, and we (the utility) do the neutral earth bonding. You wouldn't expect the find the bond in the service head here, we bond at the pillars and at the substation, or in rural settings on some poles along the route.

quote:
-------------
I can't actually see an earth bond going into the service head. Ian, is this a TN-S system?
-------------

No - TT which is why I was concerned about the lack of a 3 phase RCD before the main board.

MikeK3145 - I might have got the sarcasm if I hadn't been in a bad mood when I read it. My bad.....

Ian,
I might have got the sarcasm if I hadn't been in a bad mood when I read it. My bad...
I was wondering about that, mate.
I've never seen a reply like that from you in the past.
End of subject. [Linked Image]

Message edited to remove an underscore}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 01-07-2006).]

W
I know the power went out but how was the beer and food [Linked Image]

P
pauluk Offline OP
You wouldn't expect the find the bond in the service head here, we bond at the pillars and at the substation, or in rural settings on some poles along the route.

Do you mean that you don't actually have any houses wired for PME? (i.e. That the distribution lines are multiple-earthed, but that from the service drop onward it's effectively TN-S?)

Two points for those not familiar with things on this side of the Big Pond. First, you can see a sketch of the three main grounding arrangements in the U.K. here:
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000074.html

Second, a reminder that while the Isle of Man is located a few miles away from mainland Britain and follows British practice in most things to a large degree, it is not part of the United Kingdom, so there are differences.

Just so that everybody is aware of that. [Linked Image]

S
I particularily like the use of Non MEM blanks on the dis-board, so when the cover is removed all the busbars are nice and exposed and ready to recieve your fingers. The proper MEM ones effectiveley shield the busbar stubs and make it a lot safer to work in the board when energised. Also the amount of debris inside the disboard is unacceptable, should have been cleaned out before use.

Nick

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard