ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Darryl,

I've seen sign co's do this,and leave it for the electrician to clean it up.

so allow me to play devils advocate here and ask if they ( the sign co.) were to imply as to 527.4(G) ??

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

B
Was this done before or after the "free toaster with new account" giveaway?

W
I agree with the red tag. Maybe that will teach them to use jap wrap when they should have used 33+. I don't think some electricians can spell liability. All they are looking for is beerthirty and payday.

T
This wasn't actually energized, was it? Heaven forbid (anyone else or) some curious kids decide to play around with it. Glad it was red-tagged.

G
I think temporary is 90 days or less.

S
What's japwrap? I think watthead made a reference to it?

I take it to mean that cheap electrical tape you get from the 99 cent stores instead of the Scotch stuff?

As a side note, which is better? 33+ or 88+?

I have a roll of Scotch electrical tape - the one that's sold packaged in the plastic canisters (I think it's 88) at Home Depot. I bought one for wrapping splice-caps and also around receptacles and switches before sticking them into the box and it seems pretty strong and sticky and elastic.

L
Sven
Your right "japwrap" is the cheap stuff, maybe should call it "junkwrap" you know it won't stick to anything or even itself or it might stick as long as your holding it down.

88+ is a thicker mil, 3M (Scotch) also makes a 22 thats even heavier.

S
'pigtailing' permanent lighting circuits falls under 527.......what is diferent here?

J
Where is this bank? I'm hoping that the same guy did the vault alarm....

D
Hi everybody, Sorry to take so long responding. I've been on vacation. I think what really happened here was that an electrician had gotten a permit to install a timeclock for the sign. I think that the sign company that installed the new sign hooked this up. The circuit was existing, having been wired to a previous sign. The bank was aware of the way this was wired, but it would have remained this way had I said nothing. Since the permit involved this circuit, I figured the best way to resolve this situation was to fail the job. The electrician had only contracted with the bank to install the time clock. I just knew I couldn't leave the situation as it was.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard