ECN Forum
[Linked Image]

Joe, Here is a bank sign I turned down the other day. Hope you don't think I'm being too picky. I don't think I will have to defend it too hard!

Darryl Dempsey

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 12-09-2002).]
Gee, I can't imagine why this failed inspection! [Linked Image]

Man, who does stuff like this? I guess it keeps the real electricians busy though.
Hey 66
Looks like those Darwin Award Winners have been working for the bank. [Linked Image]

Darryl
Did they actually call you to inspect this???? [Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky Re: Bank Sign Wiring That Failed Iinspection! - 12/10/02 10:59 AM
i wonder if it is a case where the 'sign guys' left it for the electriocian to finish?
Posted By: RSmike Re: Bank Sign Wiring That Failed Iinspection! - 12/10/02 02:58 PM
I don't see a problem. The wires are supported with 12" of the splice and entry into the sign.

RSlater,
RSmike
RSMike, you're joking, right?
Darryl:
I wonder if you can do something BEYOND red-tagging this mess?
I hope the bank wasn't "wired" by the same guy that did this... [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: Scotts Re: Bank Sign Wiring That Failed Iinspection! - 12/10/02 04:58 PM
At least they used electrical tape and not duct tape. [Linked Image]
Scott
Posted By: RSmike Re: Bank Sign Wiring That Failed Iinspection! - 12/10/02 06:35 PM
Yep CTwireman I'm joking.

Under what circumstances would something like this be acceptable in a temporary situation? What if it was fenced off or protected from people and damage?
Or is it simply unacceptable in any form? In other words, do it right and do worry about the temporary situation.

I've always wondered how long IS temporary?

I only know enough code to be dangerous....or safe? One of them. I'm trying to get into a NEC classes to learn more. I really enjoy listening to the experts chat. I've learned a lot already. Many thanks to all.

RSlater,
RSmike
RSMike, Whew! that's what I thought, but I was just checking.

I don't think this would be acceptable under any cicumstances.
Posted By: sparky Re: Bank Sign Wiring That Failed Iinspection! - 12/10/02 10:41 PM
Darryl,

I've seen sign co's do this,and leave it for the electrician to clean it up.

so allow me to play devils advocate here and ask if they ( the sign co.) were to imply as to 527.4(G) ??
Was this done before or after the "free toaster with new account" giveaway?
I agree with the red tag. Maybe that will teach them to use jap wrap when they should have used 33+. I don't think some electricians can spell liability. All they are looking for is beerthirty and payday.
This wasn't actually energized, was it? Heaven forbid (anyone else or) some curious kids decide to play around with it. Glad it was red-tagged.
I think temporary is 90 days or less.
What's japwrap? I think watthead made a reference to it?

I take it to mean that cheap electrical tape you get from the 99 cent stores instead of the Scotch stuff?

As a side note, which is better? 33+ or 88+?

I have a roll of Scotch electrical tape - the one that's sold packaged in the plastic canisters (I think it's 88) at Home Depot. I bought one for wrapping splice-caps and also around receptacles and switches before sticking them into the box and it seems pretty strong and sticky and elastic.
Sven
Your right "japwrap" is the cheap stuff, maybe should call it "junkwrap" you know it won't stick to anything or even itself or it might stick as long as your holding it down.

88+ is a thicker mil, 3M (Scotch) also makes a 22 thats even heavier.
Posted By: sparky Re: Bank Sign Wiring That Failed Iinspection! - 12/12/02 10:40 AM
'pigtailing' permanent lighting circuits falls under 527.......what is diferent here?
Where is this bank? I'm hoping that the same guy did the vault alarm....
Hi everybody, Sorry to take so long responding. I've been on vacation. I think what really happened here was that an electrician had gotten a permit to install a timeclock for the sign. I think that the sign company that installed the new sign hooked this up. The circuit was existing, having been wired to a previous sign. The bank was aware of the way this was wired, but it would have remained this way had I said nothing. Since the permit involved this circuit, I figured the best way to resolve this situation was to fail the job. The electrician had only contracted with the bank to install the time clock. I just knew I couldn't leave the situation as it was.
Posted By: sparky Re: Bank Sign Wiring That Failed Iinspection! - 12/13/02 09:29 PM
agreed Darryl,
in this situation, is the circuit deenergized until the proper wiring methods are made?
© ECN Electrical Forums