Just a little note of explaining the reasoning behind the code, as it was explained to me, long ago.....

As we have absolutely no idea where Suzy Homemaker will place her furniture THIS week, the code assumes a receptacle can be needed almost anywhere; hence the spacing rule, which wants a receptacle to be in reach of a floor lamp (standard 6 ft cord) almost anywhere. Since Suzy only has a few lamps, and isn't drawing a whole lot of current, the code does not consider it necessary to limit the number of receptacles on a circuit (in a home). The more, the merrier, I guess.

Contrast this to the assumptions behind your typical office design. It is assumed that the cheap fools who lay out offices know what they are doing, and can be trusted to call for only the receptacles that they need. Since these are necessary receptacles, the code assigned a minimum load to each- in effect, limiting the number on any one circuit.

Code aside, I try very hard to place receptacles where they will be wanted (generally, I want them next to the sofa, and not behind it!), and size the circuits for a realistic guess as to the loads that will be applied.

Remember- from the outset, the code warns us against using the code as a design manual!
Rather- do your design, then check it against the code!