I did some reading of NSTAR's year 2001 "requirements for electric service" searching for a bonding requirement for RMC as a riser conduit up the company's (Nstar) pole.

In the manual,(for sparky's in Massachusetts) on page 113, note #3 to sketch 6 says: "RMC requires a grounding connector for connection of #4 CU wire." when used as riser pipe on a Nstar pole.

Now, I am well aware that the ground rod, as I described in my first post, is useless for bonding this RMC from reading posts here for some time now, but thought I would list it as a choice. But I have seen many a stick of RMC grounded in this manner...which seems to serve no purpose at all.

Also,driving around today, I saw many RMC riser pipes with the bonding bushing, but no #4 bond wire installed at all. Apparently installed by the electrician, but not bonded by the utility company.

Note that any part of the installation on public property including the RMC riser, becomes property of Nstar once energized.

Iwire, I like your suggestion for bonding this isolated section of RMC and will try to use it. I will run it by Nstar engineers first.

Electricmanscott, the exception to 250.102(E) directly addresses this installation of RMC as a riser and answer #2 of my original post as a bonding method. I will also run this by Nstar.

Thanks for your input on this.

shortcircuit