Here's the perfect example of nuisance GFI trips.
Okay, True, its not truly nuisance trips, as it's doing its job, tripping when like 5ma+ of current goes through ground, but it's a result of something functioning properly that its tripping. And it sure is a nuisance..

Computer power supplies. Every single one has a RFI Filter on the incoming power PRIOR to the switch. A computer can trip a gfi every time it gets plugged in. Before it even gets switched on.

Now, I have a particular problem with this. I do power distribution for large LAN events (big computer parties). Whenever we have to bring in a generator, more often then not, the power distro system I get with the generator is all GFI (which makes sense, as a portable power distro system like that is normally used outdoors)(the Hubbel Spider Boxes are a common favorite)

However, In my application, obviously generator power isn't 100% clean, and obviously a little more dirty then standard home power. So the RFI filters on all the computer power supplies, do their job, and send the dirt back on ground....

I'm sure you can see where this is going... Generator Power + GFI protected power distro system + RFI Filters on EVERY SINGLE APPLIANCE plugged into said power distro system.... It can get ugly.

Now, my question is, what Can be done to avoid this? Personally, I've considered using 3-2 prong adapters and tying the ground to neutral.. however, Im sure we all know the hazard that would create if the polarity got reversed Anywhere along the line... So it's not really an option. One idiot plugs their computer power cord in backwards because they cut the ground prong off at home, and their computer becomes a big direct connection to the hot side of a 120v plug... Even with polarization, someone would find a way.... Stupidity always does.

So.. In the end, Yes, the Real answer, is get a distro system that isn't all GFI protected... but does anyone out there know of a portable large-scale generator power distro system that isnt GFI protected? I'm talking generator sizes of 150KW+

--
Rich 'Dicion' Thomas