I agree with Bob 100%. Bob and I have argued the same point at several sites and have always always agreed.

Regarding washing machines: The will be required in the 2005 to be protected if they are within 6' of any sink. Bob mentioned the 2002 text, but the 2005 is different in 2 major ways:
1) 2005 applies to all sinks, not just wet-bar.
2) 2005 applies to all receptacles within 6' of the sink, not just those receptacles serving the countertop.

Also, the 2002 (and 2005) requires protection for all 125V 15 and 20A recpetacles in a commercial kitchen. There are certainly inductive loads in a kitchen, but I haven't heard of any nuisance tripping since the requirement.

Regarding current leakage: In my opinion, those who posted above saying that devices tripping GFCI's have leakage current are exactly right. Read the ROP/ROC to the 2002, and pay close attention to Mike Johnston (CMP 5)'s substantiation to get 210.8(B)(3) into the code. You want a body count?...read what he has to say. The reason there are no exceptions in the commercial kitchen rule is that one of the dead bodies in Mr. Johnston's case study happened because of a refrigerator with leakage current on the case...enough to kill a man. This man was mopping the floor of a commercial kitchen when he slipped on the water. In an effort to keep his balance, he grabbed the metallic handle of the fridge, and it was the last thing he ever did. He left a family behind.

So, if people what to talk to me about nuissance tripping, I say get a new appliance before it injures someone, or worse...

Just my two cents [Linked Image]

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City