You are correct George about switching the neutral, but there are a great deal more transfer switches out there that do not switch the neutral. I don't even know how hard to get that one will be as it is from a canadian web site, and their code deals with this topic unlike in the U.S.

I am just trying to sort things out in my head so as friends ask me to install these, I can truthfully know I am steering them in the safest direction.

As an electrician, I back feed my whole panel from an outlet and have to manually shut off my main before doing it. I have the gen recep. locked off with the procedure hanging on it... (for my wife and myself) BUT I would NEVER hook up or recommend any other homeowner do that.

Right now my Generac 5500 Wheelhouse has the neutral bond in place. So yes I have effectively two paths back to the generator on two #8's (ground and Neutral) (Generator recep is in garage)and I bond the frame to a ground rod where I hook it up. I do not believe it provides a safety hazard it it's operating state, but I know what is there and what I am facing... Frankly, I feel that the potential is the same with the double bond and don't rightly see the hazard? Actually your service is double bonded, at your house and at the Power Co. Transformer... But again I would never suggest a friend do their's that way as it goes against the perceived standard.

I was trying to determine in my mind if leaving the bonding jumper off a Generator would be safe for stand alone use, as this would be cheaper to get a 2P transfer switch.

The bottom line is there seems to be no clear cut determination and in fact no current regulation in the USA, so I will recommend leaving the bonding jumper... (as that is factory installed) and that they pay extra for the 3P switch.

(But I still would like to hear a consensus on the gen bond for stand alone use... some say it's safe, some not... I can't place the theorey in my head on that one)