No, Watt Doctor, I didn't think you were harsh on PE's. Not as hard as I am, sometimes. I work for a large engineering, procurement, and construction company, and with several PE's. As I stated, many don't have an electrician license and depend on underlings such as myself, and the contractors to catch the uh-ooh's. I do have a journeymans license, but don't know much about the "real" world of installation.
Our specs are not necessarily designed to protect anyone, just to get a good installation. Other specifiers may be different. Example: In our specs, we call for Nema 12 cabinets in certain areas, and Nema 1 gasketed in others. We also specify double lock-nuts, and Myers Scru-Tites. Now one would think that the contractor would know automatically which to use where. Well, that didn't happen on the last project. They put double lock-nuts on the Nema 12 cabinets in some places, and Meyers on the Nema 1's in some places. The Owner finally paid for the change, however, I never agreed then or now that he should have. The contractor is a large electrical contractor, supposedly well respected. And I can give you more examples of contractor and designer mistakes.
I have been watching this board for a while now, and have a great deal of respect for the posters here, including you, because they know more of the Code than I do.
With Much Respect, and work safe.