*****UPDATE*****UPDATE*****UPDATE*****
Well I just couldn't let this one go without a fight. After I had replaced the 200 amp main with a 100 amp version to get the power released to the house, I carried my appeal letter to the building official. He couldn't understand why I wanted to appeal a decision that I had already complied with. I told him that it was the money it cost me to comply, but it was really the fact that they were making up codes under the guise of interpreting it. I have just returned from an afternoon spent with the mechanical appeal board. The vote was 5 to 0 in my favor. Then the building official wanted to challenge my use of 2-2-2-4 ser aluminum cable on the 100 amp feeder. He was using 310.16 for ampacity. He was aware of 310.15 (B)(6) but was sure even after I read it to him (real slow) that it was only for services and not for feeders. The vote was again 5 to 0 in my favor. The building official was thoroughly convinced that he could interpret anything he wanted to into the code by virtue of being the AHJ, and chastized the board chairman for taking away his ability to enforce the code by using this ability to interpret at will. This time truth and right and hopefully many others that are governed by this AHJ came out the winner. Thanks to a high quality appeals board.

[This message has been edited by watthead (edited 11-30-2004).]