I was discussing this with the building official and he told me the reason I could not do this was because the 200 amp breaker would put a 200 amp load on the feeder. Then I asked him if 40 20 amp breakers put an 800 amp load on a 200 amp panel and he said that it did not. I ended this conversation with the intention of not only pursuing the appeal process but the legal system if the appeal was not successful. A short time later the building official called me back and was trying to act nice. I had not told him of my intentions, but I think he guessed as much. He then asked me why I had not asked him what I could do to get approval. I told him that his inspector had only given me one alternative of changing the breaker to a 100 amp, and providing him with a letter that stated that this change would not violate the listing and labeling of this panel. While at the same time he did volunteer that I could not change the panel to main lugs because it was a lighting and appliance panel and a main breaker in the panel was required. I can only guess that 408.16(A)Exception 1 was ammended from the Code that they accepted. I will give the building official credit for saying that a catalog cut would suffice for the letter that I thought would be impossible to obtain anyway. I already had my appeal letter written when he informed me that I would have to fill out their form to get an appeal. I guess 80.15 (G)1 doesn't apply in their jurisdiction either. After talking with my customer, general contractor, I decided to try to change the breaker. I personally hate to do this as I believe that there is no place for Dumb and Dumber in our industry, and that not challenging them leaves them thinking that they are correct. With these guys it is not only that they are wrong, but they won't discuss it. I do not like being beaten when I have listened to their side and still think that I am correct. On the downside, this could turn into one that I never get paid for. Just another of the little joys of our business.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by watthead (edited 11-06-2004).]