Pierre this is really getting to be a mess. [Linked Image]

I agree that plastic boxes are weekend by using screws through the side, but are the holes for mounting required to be tested for the purpose?

I run a lot of metal wireway, the fact that it is made to be customized leads me to drill my own holes for mounting the wireway and when you shorten one up you need to make your own holes for the fitting you will be putting on.

Are you telling me all this is a violation.

They also brought up another interesting aspect of the nails or screws installed through the box within 1/4 inch from the back - that if a screw is used, the threads pose a hazard to the conductor insulation, and require a sleeve over the shank of the screw threads that pass through the box. So much for using screws through the box.

I agree this is could be an issue but what do you mean by "So much for using screws through the box."

314.23(B)(1) says we, can no room for discussion.

Ryan mentioned that the 2005 314.23(B)(1) has been changed, does the new wording say screws?

Lets stay on target why did they use the words "pass through the interior" if that is not what they meant?

And if that is not what they meant that is a problem because that is what it says. Intent is not enforceable the written words are what is enforceable.

By the way if I sound upset or mad I am not.

I am still just trying to get some answers. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts