Joe
I Know you are a great electrical guy.
My comments was directed to the B/S the manufacturers put out to cover thier rear ends when they know the products will not last. If a GFI or AFCI fails to shut power off when it was supposed to and the get sued, the bogus test requirement is thier cop out. They know the average home owner or building managemebty are not going to test or keep records.
For the manufacturers to now offer a new more expensive product to finally have the GFI fail in a safe mode seem to me to be just another way for them to get more money for the product they should have made in the first place.
It is one of the things that I have a very hard time explaining to customers. It is one reason why licensed electricians are percieved to be too expensive for many customers. One more reason that home owners and handymen do so much electrical work.
I have walked thru about 30 houses in the last two months and have seen all sorts of work both good and bad, but over 75% got rid of the GFI outlets and replaced it with the $0.39 regular receptacle from a hardware store. When asked why almost all said it is cheaper than a GFI and does lose power when the circuit breaker does not trip.
While testing a GFI or AFCI is a godd idea it is not going to happen in the vast majority of the time. We need products that do not rely on tests that are not going to happen.

ed