I had an interesting service call recently. The complaint was no power at the receptacle in bathroom 2. I started there. While I was pulling that GFCI out the homeowner said that the outside receptacle was out also. I went there and found no power in or out. I checked the breakers. They were all on. I read the schedule on the panel and it had breaker 18 marked as "Bathroom GFCI and outside receptacle" So, I went to bath 1 and there was power at the GFCI. I tried to trip it with the test button, but it seemed to already be tripped!!! I pulled it out of the box and found power on the line side, but not on the load side!!! The outside receptacle and second bath were on the load side of it, something had tripped it, the load side shut off, but the receptacles in the GFCI were hot!!!!! I have never seen this before. I replaced the GFCI and solved the problem. In the process, I found numerous other problems. This was in a moblie home and the manufacturer had used the type of receptacles that don't need a box. When the place was remodeled, a lot of wiring was done by unqualified persons. They replaced the mobile home type receptacles with standard ones without bothering to use a box! They were screwed to the wall through the little rings/washers on the straps, just barely holding on. The homeowner said "oh, by the way, can you tell me why we have to hold the receptacles in the wall when we unplug stuff???) (These things always happen when I don't have my camera with me.) While we are on the subject, I require my guys to check all GFCIs on every service call, no matter what the complaint is. It is a good way to get additional work, improve safety, and it lets the customer know that you care. No one has ever refused to let us replace a GFCI that we found to be defective.
Bob