Thank you everyone, I am glad this was not a slam dunk.

I looked at this service and read the sections in the code and could not make up my mind if this was permitted or not.

I was wondering if this exception would allow this.

230.40 Exception No. 2: Where two to six service disconnecting means in separate enclosures are grouped at one location and supply separate loads from one service drop or lateral, one set of service-entrance conductors shall be permitted to supply each or several such service equipment enclosures.

Isn't one "service disconnecting means" one to six disconnects?

Look at how they refer to it in
230.70(A)(1) Readily Accessible Location. The service disconnecting means shall be installed at a readily accessible location either outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors.

In that section when they say service disconnecting means they certainly mean any number of switches between 1 and 6 even though they do not say that.

I do not work on thing's like this, my friend is changing this service and I went over to see him.

I did not think of 408.16(A) I thought the fact that this was a service rated "service panel" that it could not also be a lighting and appliance panel.

All very confusing to me, mostly we have 'one service disconnect.

Anymore comments are more than welcome, this service will be removed no matter what we say here, the new service will have 5 tenant panels and a house panel. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts